sara_kisler, Home Buyer in Tulsa, OK

im 20 years old and looking to buy a house how do i even get started??

Asked by sara_kisler, Tulsa, OK Fri Dec 28, 2012

Answers

14
Ray Fetty, Agent, Tulsa, OK
Fri Dec 28, 2012
The first thing you want to do is establish credit. You need a credit card, or auto loan that is tracked by the credit bureaus. Make your credit card payments on time and try to carry a balance that is between 20% and 30% of your credit limit.

If you already have some form of credit, you can check this once a year by going to http://www.annualcreditreport.com. You want a credit score in the 700s if possible, although 620 will get your foot in the door with most loan programs.

Once you know you have some credit -- call me because I would love to help you find and purchase a new house. I (as most realtors) will put you in touch with a loan officer who gets you prequalified for a mortgage. This helps you know whether you are currently qualified for a mortgage, and for how much. Knowing your price range helps you determine what kind of property you should be shopping for.

Of course shopping is the fun part. I will help you find a list of homes, make appointments to go see the ones that look good on paper, and finally determine which ones make your final cut.

Some buyers call the agent whose name is on the sign when shopping for a house. I strongly suggest you get your own real estate agent who will help you find the homes, schedule showings, make offers, and manage all the other tasks necessary to get you through the process -- on to closing and moving into your new home.

Please call me when you are ready to purchase, because I have years of experience and enjoy helping new individuals and families move into their own new home!
Gretchen Cas…, , Tulsa, OK
Mon May 13, 2013
My suggestion is to meet with a local lender to determine your loan options. There are still programs available that require zero down depending on income, credit etc. We have local processing, underwriting and servicing which means a quick and efficient loan process. I am happy to help and can be reached at 918-488-7368.
lendersnetwo…, Agent, Plano, TX
Mon Apr 1, 2013
Call me 214.984.1213 I can help you get into a home asap
Joyce Weaver, Agent, Broken Arrow, OK
Tue Jan 29, 2013
Hi! Thank you for your question! It is exciting to purchase your first home as well as being a little intimidated with the entire process.
Seeking out realtors advice on this website is a great first step.
My advice to you is to meet with a full time realtor who is willing to "hold your hand" and walk you though all of the steps.
At my office here in Broken Arrow, it is bascially a "one-step" shopping process. We have our own in-house lender and she can sit down with you and get started with your loan application.
After you visit with her,I will bring you into my office(same location) and I will go over the purchasing process. Every question will be answered and even questions that you do not know to ask will be answered with honesty.
If you have your own lender, that is wonderful! He or she will give you a pre-qualifiation letter and that is what you will need in order to write an offer on a home to purchase.
I will get the "wish list" from you and will place you on my personal "gateway" and you will be getting listings on a daily basis that will meet your criteria.
The fun part will be to look at homes. With the spring maret fast approaching, there will be new listings on the market everyday. We will certainly find your "dream home" and get you to the closing table.
All you need to do is take the first step and Call me directly at:918-260-8399. I will return your call promptly.
John Cantero, Agent, Broken Arrow, OK
Tue Jan 15, 2013
First get prequalified by your lender and then get in touch with me and I will walk you through the entire process. Check out my recommendations here on Trulia to see what others who have worked with me think about my services... http://www.trulia.com/profile/johncantero/recommendation/ I look forward to hearing from you.
Web Reference:  http://www.johncantero.com
Leah Brown, Agent, Yukon, OK
Wed Jan 9, 2013
Sara,
I work with first-time homebuyers ALL the time and I love it!! I would love to walk you through the entire process, just give me a call or contact me through my Trulia profile.
Buying your first home can be such a fun adventure, especially if you have a Realtor you trust.

Leah Brown, Realtor
Prudential Alliance Realty
Margaret Ban…, Agent,
Fri Dec 28, 2012
Sara,

Congratulations on thinking ahead and planning to buy your first home! You will need to save for a down payment, generally a minimum of 3.5 - 5% of your expected purchase price. Your credit score will also be important. Lenders can charge higher interest rates for lower credit scores.

I will be happy to sit down with you to go over the purchase and closing process and personally answer all your questions. The better informed you are, the easier and more fun the process will be.
Kathryn Fren…, Agent, Broken Arrow, OK
Fri Dec 28, 2012
Start by calling me...and I will help you get pre-approved with a lender and walk you through each step of the way. Also you can visit my web site for all your real estate needs @ SearchingTulsaHomes.com...
Josh Barnett, Agent, Chandler, OK
Fri Dec 28, 2012
Sara,

Contact Joey Scott at Office 918.919.HOME (4663) | Fax 918.517.3123 | Cell 806.441.JOEY and ask him to help you get pre-qualified.

Let him know Josh sent you.

Josh Barnett, Realtor
Metro First Realty
Web Reference:  http://www.1ListingFee.com
Greg, Home Buyer, Tulsa, OK
Fri Dec 28, 2012
I would contact a good lender first and get pre-approved. That would be your first step. We have several preferred lenders we deal with and I would be pleased to pass on their contact info if needed.

Thanks Sara -

Greg Fain
Accent Realtors
918-895-8212
Kevin Rhoades, Agent, Tulsa, OK
Fri Dec 28, 2012
Hi Sara...

The best place to start is getting together with a good lender. They will be able to look at your specific situation and help you find the best loan program for you. They can help you find out your comfortable price range so you can be in a position to make an offer once you find the perfect house. I work with a number of great lenders if you need some recommendations. I'd be happy to answer questions & help any way I can...
Pam Armbrist…, Agent, Tulsa, OK
Fri Dec 28, 2012
My first suggestion is to talk with a Lender (local bank or a mortgage broker) to see what you qualify for. then look at that payment and make sure you are comfortable making that payment each month. If not look at lowering the price range of the house you would be looking at and start the process of viewing homes. Feel free to call me with any questions and if you would like a free search for your general area. Pam 918-691-8667
Jennifer Col…, Agent, Sand Springs, OK
Fri Dec 28, 2012
First, I would recommend talking with someone at your bank about qualifing for a mortgage. If you don't have anyone I can email you a list of lenders. When you know what you qualify for it will be easy to find the perfect home you are looking for! Feel free to call me anytime! 918-645-3795
Larry & Karen…, Agent, Tulsa, OK
Fri Dec 28, 2012
HI Sara, Give me a call and I will get you started! Karen Addis (918)520-9637. As an agent with Coldwell Banker I will guide you through each step. Pre-approval from a good lender, home search, writing the offer, inspections and closing. Would love to work with you.