im purchasing a home and suppose to close in a couple of days and the tenants wont leave. tried finding them an apt . what should i do?

Asked by Jones, Springfield, MA Thu Oct 6, 2011

Answers

9
Christine Mo…, Agent, Wilbraham, MA
Sun Oct 9, 2011
When you buy a home to put family in or occupy tenants really can't fight that. I would suggest you speak to your attny.
You need 30 days notice for some people ect. it is complicated. Let the current owners deal with it. Your agent or the sellers agent could give them some rental listings and some help, but if they are not good tenants I personally wouldn't get involved.
Territory.c…, Agent, MA,
Thu Oct 6, 2011
Uh-oh, not a good situation. Hopefully there was some sort of contract in place and they aren't tenants at will. Either way, get your attorney involved asap to investigate your options.

Web Reference:  http://beta.territory.com/
Venita Peyton, Agent, Raleigh, NC
Thu Oct 6, 2011
You're right. It's not your job to find them an apt. If the tenant's lease has expired then your agent and attorney should get on the ball and earn their pay!! As I mentioned earlier - your homeowner's insurance may not begin providing coverage if they are there and YOU are not! AND you don't want to risk them damaging the place. Boy I wish you were in NC. We wouldn't tolerate this kind of nonsense.
Justin Ruzic…, Agent, Greenville, SC
Thu Oct 6, 2011
postpone closing! the seller or their agent should have dealt with this issue. I am sure there is a protection in the contract, to postpone without risk of lose. The last thing you want is to have to do the eviction. Probably very expensive, and timely...do you have an agent working for you? Light a fire under their tail get them working!

I blog about this a lot. http://wp.me/1MLJl

have a good day.
Jones, Home Buyer, Springfield, MA
Thu Oct 6, 2011
I dont think its my job to find the tenants an apartment . Im a single mother with two kids , I just want to move into my home and these tenants to leave...
Venita Peyton, Agent, Raleigh, NC
Thu Oct 6, 2011
Sorry, my answer disappeared so I thought it had been deleted. But yes: either have money held back in escrow until the folks move, or - definitely do NOT close until THEY ARE OUT!
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Thu Oct 6, 2011
What is your agent and or attorney advising....you may want to postpone your closing; if the current owner is unable to vacate them, eviction may become necessary....
Alex Pereira…, Agent, Farmington Hills, MI
Thu Oct 6, 2011
The current owner needs to serve them with a letter to terminate the lease. You need to follow your states guidelines. If they fail to vacate they are considered a tenant in holdover and must be evicted.
Tim Moore, Agent, Kitty Hawk, NC
Thu Oct 6, 2011
When it's yours you might need to call the sheriff - for now it is the current owners problem and if it was me I would not close until they are out and you can inspect the house.