im looking to buy the house i live in but i believe there is a lean on the house. where can i go to get?

Asked by Cherie Heckman, Omaha, NE Mon Apr 14, 2008

information about the house?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Dean Uhing, Agent, Omaha, NE
Tue Apr 15, 2008
Hi Cherie,
If you live in the Douglas or Sarpy county, you could go to the records office and ask the staff to help you do some research on the property's title. They should be able to assist you in finding liens on the property.
You could also contact a title company (check the phone book) and ask for a title search. This may cost
around $75 or so.
If you are planning to purchase the property you can make it subject to the owner giving you clear and marketable title. You should ask the seller to give you a general warranty deed (this will give you the greatest assurance of title) and also ask for title insurance (look into the expanded policy to increase your protection).
You are wise in asking the question you did. Before one takes title to any real estate, a thorough check of the title should be made.
Hope this helps some.
Dean Uhing
Prudential Ambassador Real Estate
0 votes
Sandy Shores, Agent, Melbourne, FL
Tue Apr 15, 2008
You would probably need to contact a local title company or a real estate attorney (depending on who handles real estate closings in your area) to have them do a preliminary search of the title through the public records. Preliminary searches often times only go back a specific # of years (here in Florida it's usually 10 years). A normal title search goes back 30 years, here. That one must be paid for.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more