if previous owner owe back tax, who is responsible for that if i buy the property?

Asked by Cuong, West Palm Beach, FL Tue Jan 20, 2009

Answers

13
Lisa Reeves, Agent, Tampa, FL
Tue Jan 20, 2009
If the property is purchased and there are back taxes i.e. a tax lien - title cannot pass until it is taken care of. If the seller/owner has enough equity to cover the taxes then it comes from them. If it is a short sale then it should be figured into the closing figures. If you agreed to cover all expenses in your contract then you are responsible. So find out what you agreed to in the contract and then find out what the seller's position is. Tax liens are superior liens and pass with the property. Such as IRS or State Tax. Contact me if you have any more questions.
We sold a trailer it has last year's taxes due sand this year's taxes due she still hasn't put it in her name the ta DC commissioner knows are we responsible
Flag Mon Apr 3, 2017
We sold a friend a trailer last year's taxes and this year's taxes are due she has still failed to put it in her name the tax commissioner knows she bought it are we entitled to pay the back taxes.
Flag Mon Apr 3, 2017
I'm in the similar position.
I bought a mobile home in 10/06/2015. I have all insurance and property tax for 2016 paid off.
Just yesterday, I received a past due tax bill for 2015 which I believe the previous owner is responsible, because since the day I moved in, I haven't received any 2015 tax bill in my name. There were some mails for previous owner, but I didn't open and left them in a box in front of the house for him to pickup but ended up in the trash bin after so long.
The lender threatened me to take the M.Home back if I don't pay the tax bill within 3 days of this notice (due by this Friday) while the notice allowed me until April 2 to pay the tax.
Does the lender have the right to do that if I don't pay it by Friday?
Is it my responsibility to pay?

Thank you very much.
Flag Wed Mar 8, 2017
Did know until I tried to my lights turn that back taxes was owed
Flag Thu Feb 16, 2017
I recently bought a mobile home , when I went to the courthouse to transfer the title, I found out that the previous owner owed 600.00in back taxes...who is responsible for this? The courthouse said that I cannot get this put into my name until the old taxes are paid .Now I cannot get ahold of the guy who sold me this mobile home...what can I do?
Flag Fri Aug 16, 2013
Flag Fri Aug 16, 2013
Cmoritz41, Home Buyer, West Palm Beach, FL
Mon Oct 16, 2017
The previous ownwr is responsible for tax.
Taintedlove6…, Home Buyer, West Palm Beach, FL
Mon Feb 13, 2017
Im buying a mobil home in statesboro ga and i agreed to buy 1,500 for it and now the Land Lord wants me to pay the three years of back taxes
Donnasantos1…, Home Buyer, West Palm Beach, FL
Tue May 24, 2016
previous owners owe 3 yrs back taxes want to find out how much they owe on their mobilehome
Minenoturs63, Home Buyer, West Palm Beach, FL
Tue May 17, 2016
the seller is unless you signed an agreement that you would pay any and all taxes
patty33162, Home Buyer, 61241
Fri Feb 6, 2015
I'm not sure how to explain this but I'll give it a try. I was in search of a place to live. I came across a mobile home. I talked to the managers about the mobile home and told me the cost of lot rent price of the mobile home , so on and so forth. While showing me the inside if the mobile home we got on the subject of taxes. I asked the manager how much are taxes? She stated "about $60 for this one, every 6 months or so." I then asked " Are there any back taxes owed?" she stated "no" A few days later I decided I would buy the mobile home because it was the cheapest lot rent around. Upon signing papers for the mobile home. I asked again "Are there any back taxes owed on this mobile home?" She stated "No, if there were I would have to tell you by law." so I said ok. I signed papers about park rules and about paying lot rent and mobile home payments. I moved in about a week before Thanksgiving 2014. All was well and good. A couple weeks ago I get a bill for property taxes. $56.70 I figure that's ok she said about $60 They are due April 10, 2015. THEN last night a sheriff comes to serve me papers to go to court over taxes that I haven't paid $156.70 plus cost. My court date is March 10th, 15. I'm so confused and don't know what to say when I go to court or who to even talk to about the taxes. How do you look up tax info on a property before buying?? ant info you can provide will be of big help. Thank you!
Thank you so much for the advice. I did make a call to the court house and a lady looked up my taxes. I explained I moved in around Thanksgiving. She said "That's late into the year. You are not responsible for those taxes. I will call the mobile home park and tell this to them. She also told me I could disregard the court papers and to not show up for court. She told me to just focus in the taxes that are due on April 10, 15. I was happy. But for future reference I know what to do. Thank you again so much. You were very helpful!!
Flag Mon Feb 9, 2015
you can also go on line,on the tax Collectors Office website, and go to the link that says, " property search by street address" you enter the property address and press the enter button....and just follow the links.....
Flag Sat Feb 7, 2015
Every property is recorded in the tax-collectors office for the city that is located.You go over there and see one of the costumer serv.rep,give them the property inf...and they can look it up for you. They also can look up the back taxes for the property,if there is any.
Flag Sat Feb 7, 2015
Bill Shearou…, Agent, Lake Worth, FL
Fri Mar 1, 2013
Your title company will be able help you in this matter. Hopefully it should be settled long before closing. If not you may have to agree to some way to settle this issue. This issue needs to be addressed in the contract. It would be a great idea for you to seek legal advise in regards to this matter.
homebuyerlp, Home Buyer, West Palm Beach, FL
Thu Feb 28, 2013
What if the house is transferred to you, not sold to you, who is responsible for the back taxes? Can it be transferred if there are back taxes?
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Wed Jan 21, 2009
Cuong,

If you are referring to a short sale or foreclosure, this would be required to be resolved prior to the transfer of ownership. As previously mentioned, the title company would oversee this in your best interests.
John Bennett, Agent, Orlando, FL
Wed Jan 21, 2009
Lynn 911 was first, But please See Nadine and Lisa's comments. Title should uncover back taxes, and normally Seller would pay for back tax's and prorated from the first of the year to closing date, HOWEVER; the contract for sale you signed will (should) detail how this is handled.
This is yet another good reason one should use a good Realtor
John Bennett, Agent, Orlando, FL
Wed Jan 21, 2009
Nadine Mauro, Agent, Lake Worth, FL
Tue Jan 20, 2009
You need to make sure that your agent puts into your contract that all amounts of money due to governmental bodies by the current / previous owner are the resposibility of the seller.

The title company should turn up any liens when they do their search.

If you want to protect yourself further, hire your own Real Estate attorney who will represent you, and only you, at the closing. You don't want to be responsible for something that was not originally your responsibility. It can be well worth the cost of a real estate attorney to protect you from any future, unpleasant surprises.

Nadine Mauro
Regency Realty Services
NadineMauroRE@yahoo.com
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Tue Jan 20, 2009
You would not be responsible title company clears all liens prior to closing on the sale.
Web Reference:  http://www.lynn911.com
What if the closing attorney missed the IRS lien and offered no title insurance?
Flag Sat Nov 25, 2017