if i purchase a home for 300000 and a downpayment of 20%. After a year i sell it for the same price. How much equity would i have in the house?

Asked by Iahmed1966, Latham, NY Fri Oct 30, 2009

Answers

2
Christopher McCabe’s answer
Christopher…, Agent, Latham, NY
Tue Mar 13, 2012
Lahmed,
Like Debbie said you would get back the 20% downpayment, any principal that was paid during the year and prepaid taxes in your escrow minus closing costs and realtor fees (if any). I would be happy to sit down with you to discuss your options as well as give you a CMA (comparative market analysis) of your home. I myself live and work in Latham so I'm very familiar with the area. Feel free to call me at 518-378-8756. Chris
Web Reference:  http://www.cmfox.com
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Sat Oct 31, 2009
Hi Iahmed

If you sold after living in the house for 1 year at the same price you paid, you would basically get back your 20% downpayment of $60,000, plus a little more that was paid off towards the principal over that 1 year period. I don't have those exact figures, but it might be a few thousand dollars (rough guess - $3000).

That's all the equity you'd have.
Keep in mind, if you listed with an agent, and had to pay a commissiion, obviously, you'd have to subtract that commission and any other closing costs to come up with a final figure.