Home Buying in Trenton>Question Details

Bsaeed101, Home Buyer in 08611

if i buy home in trenton nj i have to get city inspection before closing or after closing.

Asked by Bsaeed101, 08611 Thu Sep 15, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:


Thomas Thrower’s answer
In the City of Trenton the Seller is responsible to apply for and pay for the city to come out to do the inspections before closing. Part of the inspection process is to pay for the Roof, Furnace and Chimney inspections by a licensed contractor and also have the city inspect the property. If the seller can not obtain the Certificate of Occupancy, they can sell the property in AS IS condition and the buyer must go down and fill out an affidavit that the buyer will be responsible for repairs of the property within a specified time period.

If you do not do this process, both the buyer and seller could be fined if discovered by the City.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 8, 2012
The Seller is responsible for setting up and paying for an inspections that the boro/township/city requires. Your agent should, (even though they are representing the buyer) call the boro and speak with the building inspector. They will tell you what forms are needed and what is required PRE settlement.
Eventhough it is the responsibility of the Seller, I always (when representing a buyer) double check so that there are no surprises at the closing table.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 15, 2011
Typically, the seller will apply for a certificate of occupancy (CO) before the sale and resolve any violations & have it re-inspected before closing to procure the CO for the buyer. A property can still be transferred with existing violations and temporary CO if you, as the buyer, promise the city to have the violations resolved (typically within 90 days) after you close on the home (and before actual occupancy).

If the seller hold the buyer responsible for the CO, then the above is the same (except replace the word "seller" with the word "buyer")
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 15, 2011
Yes. See: http://www.trentonnj.org/Cit-e-Access/webpage.cfm?TID=55&…

Your agent should be providing answers to your purchase questions. If they seem unsure, consider a new agent.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 15, 2011
You should do CO inspection before closing.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 15, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer