i signed a contract that I had not received a copy of till a week later and found things in the contract I misread can I void the contract

Asked by Bearface, Eden Prairie, MN Sat Jul 9, 2011

Answers

5
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Sat Jul 9, 2011
Check with a lawyer.

I'm not a lawyer, so this isn't legal advice. For that, you do need a lawyer. However, you're generally not protected if you "misread" something in the contract. If someone altered the contract after you signed, that's a different matter. But you're responsible for reading it . . . and reading it correctly.

One thing that might, just might, work is that delay in your receiving the contract. In certain cases, you're supposed to be provided a copy immediately. If there was some sort of regulatory requirement that you be provided a copy of the contract and the other party failed to abide by that, you might (again, not legal advice) be able to get out of the contract. So, be sure to mention that to the lawyer.

Steele V. Pr…, , Minneapolis, MN
Fri Jul 15, 2011
One other thought is that if you had an agent and he/she received a copy it is largely the same as you receiving one. Did that happen?

Steele
Werginn, , Miami, FL
Fri Jul 15, 2011
You can request for a Readable contract!!!!
Make sure everything you had signed before is what is shows now on the new contract...
Brad Anderson, Agent, Maple Grove, MN
Sun Jul 10, 2011
What did your Realtor say about your concerns? If you cant come to a solution, ask your Realtor to void the contract, if they won't, call the broker. Good luck.
Steele V. Pr…, , Minneapolis, MN
Sat Jul 9, 2011
Don is correct. Most, almost all, of us here are real estate agents and can't give legal opinions. Final say should be from a real estate attorney.

But from what you describe I don't see any valid reason why you would be able to void this. I don't believe there is a timeline on getting your copy of the contract. If you had never gotten one, maybe things would be slightly different.

So what did you misread, if I may ask?