i need to break a 6 month lease and get my deposit back because im not satisfied with the neighborhood

Asked by Sherry Hill, White City, Tulsa, OK Fri May 3, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Russell Bens…, Agent, Oklahoma City, OK
Fri May 3, 2013
Your best option would be to speak with the owners/landlord/management company about your concerns but in the end, they have the option to let you out of your lease, unless you have other legal grounds by which to cancel your lease but it would have to be a very good reason.

You could be responsible for any rent until the unit is leased again and you could forfeit your deposit.

I wish you the best of luck!

Russell Benson, REALTOR®
Prudential Alliance Realty
0 votes
Wells Bridge…, Agent, OKC, OK
Fri May 3, 2013
I would talk with the owner and see if you can work something out. Typically, that's not enough to break a lease. Maybe they have another property that would work for you.

Best of Luck,

Bridgett Wells
Keller Williams Realty Elite
0 votes
Josh Barnett, Agent, Carney, OK
Fri May 3, 2013
Go over your concerns with the Landlord, they may have other units available that you can transfer to.
0 votes
Terry Farnsw…, Agent, Lisle, IL
Fri May 3, 2013
I don't know the details of your lease - but this is typically not sufficient reason to break a lease. It is generally your responsiblity to research the area and neighborhood prior to moving in.
0 votes
John Phillips, , Oklahoma City, OK
Fri May 3, 2013
I am sorry but that is not a good enough reason to get your deposit back: The land lord could actually file one you for the remainder of the monthly lease payments:

Best thing for you to do is consult a lawyer:

Good Luck
0 votes
UB Home Team, Agent, Norman, OK
Fri May 3, 2013
It all depends upon how your lease agreement is worded. In most cases, you may not be able to get your deposit back because of the neighborhood. Some may argue the Renter should of done some better due diligence prior to leasing. However, there are some agreement with wording to protect your safety, security and/or functionality of items within the property.

If you have no lease agreement, you may have to go to a mediator and/or court. Never hurts to ask, but again, in most cases you will need to make peace and say goodbye to your deposit.

Best of luck!
Web Reference:  http://www.ubhometeam.com
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more