i'm thinking of buying a house in los angeles 90018 aree. there is a tenant who has not been paying rent for a year, and i want to move into the house

Asked by shardray, Santa Monica, CA Tue Dec 11, 2012

what are the rent control laws regarding getting the squatter out? i know there is a 19,000 relocation fee, but what other problems/procedures are there? how long does it take to actually get them to move out?
i've tried calling the rent control board, but they took my number and never called back - budget cuts no doubt..

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Douglas Perez…, Home Buyer, Los Angeles, CA
Tue Dec 11, 2012
Buying a house with an unknown occupant who is not paying rent is risky. It could take months to evict, and the house could be destroyed. It would be better for a buyer to request the seller to have this house delivered vacant or request seller a credit at the close of escrow for eviction attorney fees and relocation cost.
Rent control advocacy is toward helping tenants not landlords.

If you need help in buying any property in L.A., you can contact me.

Thank you,
Douglas Perez

Reference info:
City of LA Rent Control:
Eviction Attorney:
1 vote
Sonya Coke, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Thu Dec 13, 2012
If the tenant is not paying rent you do not have to pay a relocation fee. The tenant is in breach of their rental agreement. However, if the tenant doesn't leave willfully you will have to go through the eviction process which can take some time. You can contact the Los Angeles Housing Department at 213.621.2489 for more information.
0 votes
Janey Bishop, Agent, Calabasas, CA
Tue Dec 11, 2012
Generally if buyer intends to reside in the home for a year the tenant who is month to month has 30 days. Does the tenant have a lease? This is risky territory so I would get the advise of an attorney. Penalties to landlords for shenanigans can be high and lack of knowledge is not a defense.
0 votes
Jolanta Jonu…, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Tue Dec 11, 2012

It is ease to get out tenant who does not pay rent in rent control area. Just serve 30 day notice to leave your property. If after that time the tenant still there start eviction process. Good luck
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more