i'm considering buying a tiny house in ocean gate, nj 684 square ft but one house from the water. It's only

Asked by Kathy, Saddle Brook, NJ Sun Apr 6, 2008

one bedroom on a very small lot but I could add a level above down the road. The level would have to be the same size as below 684 sq ft. Any idea how much this would cost and how much taxes would increase.

Answers

4
Marc J Willi…, Agent, Whiting, NJ
Mon Apr 7, 2008
If you can live in it, buy it now. Sell it in a few years to move "up" in size. Many 'shore" folks sleep in their little dream house but live on the beach or in a boat or just relaxing down here. Don't pass up the chance to buy at the shore. Rules and regulations today may change tomorrow. Simplify, Simplify Simplify.
Get it now before someone else does.
marc j williams REALTOR 3rd generation, I know real estate
marc@marcjwilliams.com
732-778-9933
John Jelinski, , Barnegat, NJ
Mon Apr 7, 2008
Kathy,
Marc is right, don't give up moving to the shore. Now is the time and there may not be a better time to buy here. The market WILL shift and you could loose out. Buy small, wait and keep your eye out to move up. Down here in the Barnegat/Manahawkin market (about 20 minutes south of Ocean Gate) there are fabulous buys, especially on the water, very close to Long Beach Island, the area I specialize in. There are many "distressed" sales opportunities which is making this market hot, at very reasonable prices...almost any REASONABLE offer is being accepted. You can get more here that the Ocean Gate area, in my professional opinion and this is a less congested and all around nicer area (again in my opinion).

Call or Email if you need anytime, I am a Buyers Rep and I would love to help and advise.

John Jelinski
Crossroads Realty, Barnegat
609-713-3454
johnjelinski_7@msn.com
Dani Padovano, Agent, Mt Laurel, NJ
Sun Apr 6, 2008
Kathy,
There is a realy good chance you will not be able to go up - from my expierence working in Ocan Gate, alot of those "postage stamp" lots are zoned for only 1 level - it was part of the agreement when they were sub divided to make such small lots buildable in the first place - and Ocean Gate can be real tough and expensive when it comes to zonning issues. Make friends with someone who has been building in Ocean Gate to get a beter understanding of the hoops you will have to go thru to build up on that lot. You may be better off picking a lot a little further away from the beach to get a bigger house and save yourself the expense and agrevation.
Dani
John Jelinski, , Barnegat, NJ
Sun Apr 6, 2008
Kathy,

A good suggesstion would be to find out if there is any zoning OR building requirements in the area before you start. Also, talk with a professional builder to see if the existing structure can handle the stress of another floor (and if the ground below is secure on it's existing foundation. Sometimes it may be better to start from scratch than to add.
As far as cost, it depends on who and what you want to build, again a good professional builder can tell you or give you a close estimate. Taxes would be based on the tax base itself and may not catch up for a year or so. Again, do some homework on the taxes in the area.

If I can help further, just call

John Jelinski
Crossroads Realty, Barnegat
609-713-3454
johnjelinski_7@msn.com