i have seen the property through listed agent he is the broker,he showed me the house ,do u think i can work

Asked by Mukesh Yadav, 19341 Mon Jun 1, 2009

with him or do i need to hire my own buyer agent?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Russ Ravary, Agent, Commerce Township, MI
Sun Mar 10, 2013
If you have already seen the house with the listing agent if you hired a buyers agent at this point they may not get paid. So now that you have done it stick with the listing agent. Just ask him if he is going to represent you too or just the seller. If he is just represent the seller then it may be wise to get a buyers agent.
0 votes
Christian Bo…, Agent, Celebration, FL
Tue Jun 2, 2009
In my opinion the listing agent/broker is the procuring cause.
Why would you want to work with your own agent?
If he or she is that good then why didn't he or she brought you to the property?
Or is it just a friend that you want to do a favor?
I'm sure the listing agent/broker will do a good job.
And by the way, you can always have your buyer agent look over the paperwork and nothing prohibits you to pay your agent for that.

Live and learn,

Christian Bohyn
Realtor - Mortgage Broker
0 votes
Renee Porsia, Agent, Newtown, PA
Tue Jun 2, 2009

It's not that easy. The buyer just can't tell the listing broker that he doesn't want to work with him/her and thats it.

This is a common problem that happens ever day because agents don't take time to sit with buyers to explain the Consumer Notice and buyers just want someone to rush down and show them the house. Then when something happens that the buyer doesn't like, then they want to know their rights so it starts with us because we are professionals.

All Realtors need to take their jobs seriously and tell buyers that they need to schedule an appointment to come in and meet with them before they will show a home to them. All of this meeting for the first time at the home is so unprofessional and desperate.

In this situation, this buyer needs to understand that if they hire a buyer agent now and the listing agent and seller doesn't want to pay the buyer's agent, the buyer will be responsible to pay their agent.

it's not so cut and dry like that.
0 votes
Zivile Pasqu…, , Lafayette Hill, PA
Tue Jun 2, 2009
Hire your own agent - tell that listing broker that you don't want dual agency. Make the seller pay commission to the realtor that you hire. That's how it usually works - the seller pays commission to seller's and buyer's agents.

Zivile Pasquarella - Realtor
0 votes
Renee Porsia, Agent, Newtown, PA
Mon Jun 1, 2009

You should have never seen the property with the listing agent in the first place.

You should have hired your own buyer agent. Your issue now becomes even if you hire your own buyer agent, and you want to purchase that home, you would be liable to pay your own agent yourself because the listing agent showed you that home first and that will become an issue because that agent will want to keep all of the commission and not pay your agent.

Prior to seeing the home though, did the listing agent get you to sign something stating that he/she would be acting as a "dual" agent? He/she should have had you sign it agreeing to allow him/her to be a "dual" agent as well as the seller. He/she should have also reviewed the Consumer Notice with you. If he/she didn't, you may have something that you could use to get him/her to back off if he/she didn't explain your rights to you.

This is the exact reason why I am constantly telling consumers not to just run out to view homes without knowing their rights and the responsibilities of their actions.

Good luck.

Renee Porsia
Associate Broker
(215) 669-0589 Direct
(215) 358-1100 Office ask for Renee
0 votes
Edmund Choi, Agent, Paoli, PA
Mon Jun 1, 2009
Please ask him to review the 'Consumer Notice' in detail and have a conversation with him. If you are comfortable moving forward, you will need to, in writing from all parties, agree to dual agency and understand that, due to conflict of interest, you may not be receiving 100% advocacy, but more transactional advice. Otherwise, you can always request an agent to be designated to either you or the seller to avoid this conflict of interest OR procure the services of a Buyer's agent unaffiliated with the listing broker. Good Hunting!
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more