Home Buying in Memphis>Question Details

Epenrose, Renter in Memphis, TN

i have been renting this house for 3 months from a guy named levone grandberry and the owner is richard costca that lives in ca.

Asked by Epenrose, Memphis, TN Wed Jun 13, 2012

Levone is trying to evict me and will not give me the owners number. I need to know what further action to take. I believe Levone is renting the house without the owner knowing about it.He said he would fix the air when I moved in and still has not done so and and now that I have complained he has told me to just get out. I want to know what is going on with this situation. Thanks, Elizabeth P.

Help the community by answering this question:


I am not a realtor or investor I am a consumer who just happened upon this website, searching for buyer reviews on the quality of a new home builder's products. I am offering this information to hopefully help you. First, do you have a signed lease? Please read it. if you have a lease with the actual property owner, read your lease to determine if it includes a "subletting option" If the option is not on your lease, it is because the owner/landlord did not want it there. This also holds true for the lease that Levone Grandberry has with the owner. If the option is not on Mr. Granberry's lease, it is because the owner/landlord did not want it there. Information on residential and commercial property in Shelby County can be obtained via the the Shelby County TN Government Assessor of Property website (http://www.assessor.shelby.tn.us/content.aspx?key=PropertySearch). I searched the website first by entering the last name "Costca", as you have indicated above, but I received no results. I then tried searching by the last name spelling "Cosca". Two Shelby County TN properties are listed noting the owner as Richard A. Cosca of California. The properties are: 5230 Corkwood Dr. and 3481 Madewell Dr. The Shelby County TN Register of Deeds office has public documents on file that notes the following two mailing addresses for Mr. Richard A. Cosca. 1255 Eucalyptus Avenue, Vista, CA 92084 and P.O. Box 2232, Vista, CA 92085. No telephone numbers are listed. I was not able to find properties listing a Levone Grandberry as owner. Follow this link to access the Tennessee Division of Consumer Affairs brochure on the Landlord and Tenant Act (http://tn.gov/consumer/documents/LandlordTenantBrochure.pdf). After reading the brochure, contact them to discuss your situation and for any guidance that can be provided. Afterward, if you believe that you have been renting the property from someone other than the actual owner, without the actual owner's knowledge and a lease between you and the actual owner, my advice is to consult an attorney as soon as possible. You might be the victim of illegal subletting which is when a tenant rents out a house, apartment or room without the owner's permission. I hope this information is helpful. God Bless You!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 21, 2012
Hey Elizabeth P., they defaulted on there rent obligations, and stayed til the 15th, i believe of April, when they agreed to vacate for partial rent back...They have vacated for several months now and upon inspection by Levone, , there was no rent money owed to them as. Levone manages the property for me!!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 14, 2012
The owner of this property has contacted me in the past about help in selling his properties. It does not sound like him not to make repairs. From the conversations I have had with him, I do know he has zero patience for tenants who do not pay rent. I know he will surely pay to evict. My suggestion is you are current on your rent is to retain attorney. If you are current your rent, it may be easier to give a notice and vacate the property and find a landlord who will maintain the property.. Some leases will allow you to vacate with a 30 day notice.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 14, 2012
If you are current on the rent, and have a valid lease, he really doesn't have a leg to stand on. If you are withholding rent because he hasn't fixed the air, that is not a valid tactic to get him to act. By law, rent goes with possession. If you are in possession of the property and are staying there, and your belongings are there, you owe the rent. He cannot summarily evict you unless you have breached the lease agreement in some manner, such as being in default on the rent, etc. If he wants to evict you, he wil have to go through General Sessions court like everyone else, which can cost upwards of $200. The filing fee for a detainer warrant in General Sessions is $97.50. If he uses a process server, that fee is usually $45- $50. As he is not the owner, he will have to engage an attorney to appear in court for the hearing. My guess is, since he is not the owner, and is obviously too cheap to fix the air conditioning, he is not willing to spend the money to have you evicted either. If, as you suspect, he is renting the house without the owner's knowlege, he certainly isn't going to call California to ask the owner for the money. Are you subletting this property from him? Most leases contain a clause that absolutely forbids the tenant to sublet.
If you have a valid lease, find a legal aid attorney and let him review it. Lay out your case and he should be able to tell you what your rights are under the present agreement.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 14, 2012
Do you have a lease? Have you ever met the owner? Are you current on the rent?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 14, 2012
Are you current on your rent?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 13, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer