i have a property that pre dates Certifacte of Occupancy, do i need a certifacte now? if yes how do i go about it

Asked by aron, Jersey City, NJ Thu Sep 6, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Andrew Tisel…, Agent, Clifton, NJ
Thu Sep 6, 2012
when you go and get the application for the Certificate of Occupancy from your towns building department the will tell you what you require to pass inspection.
some towns just do fire inspection make sure you have smoke/carbon detector near all bedrooms and each floor of the home. The fire inspector may report back to the town if they see any recent construction done with out permits.
0 votes
Amos Elroy, Agent, Bayonne, NJ
Thu Sep 6, 2012
Yes, you will need a CO, as opposed to a CCO (Continuing Certificate of Occupancy, usually needed when properties change hands. Contact your local municipality to find out the details as to what the compliance requirements are and the process specific to them.


Amos Elroy
CDPE (Certified Distressed Property Expert),
SFR (Short-Sale Specialist Certified)
NAEA Member (National Association of Expert Advisers)

Residential Real Estate Investment Consultant
Lic. Realtor Associate
EXIT On The Hudson Realty
(888) 462-6573 / (888) HOB-NJRE
FAX (888) 462-6573
Office 201-437-0411

Twitter & Facebook: HobNJRE
0 votes
Alex Kushnir, Agent, Monmouth, IL
Thu Sep 6, 2012
You still have to get a CO if you sell or rent it. Some towns don't require it however, just a fire inspection. Your best bet is to check with your building department.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more