Kim Beau, Home Buyer in Bangor, ME

i am unhappy with my buyer agent, can I fire him? there is no buy's contract.

Asked by Kim Beau, Bangor, ME Mon Oct 10, 2011

Answers

17
CJ Dubois-Co…, Agent, Saco, ME
Tue Oct 11, 2011
Kim,

May I offer my services to you and make a referral to a top notch agent in the area you are looking to purchase a home? I know several agents in the Bangor area and I am also privy to a database of highly skilled agents that can best serve your needs. If you are interested in this FREE service, please let me know.

CJ Dubois-Cote, Prudential Prime Properties, 207-615-1663 or cindy@prubay.com
CJ Dubois-Co…, Agent, Saco, ME
Mon Oct 10, 2011
Hi Kim,

You have received lots of good responses. If you are looking for a responsive agent, feel free to contact me. I work in the Portland and York County markets. I am also an Accredited Buyer Representative and a top producer in southern Maine. I look forward to hearing from you. Are you up for a cup of coffee, my treat?

Tess Keeran, Agent, Bangor, ME
Mon Oct 10, 2011
Hi Kim,

You are only a customer right now, not a client. Once you sign with someone, you become a client and than you have a buyers agent. Right now you are free to use whomever you are most comfortable with.

I would suggest getting referrals from friends and than calling several agents and or meeting with them to see how you would enjoying working with them and who will work fulltime for you.
CC, Home Buyer, 04401
Thu Nov 20, 2014
No contract means you have no buyers agent. You should never have a buyers agent with the agency that sells the property no one can serve 2 masters. It is also financially foolish in most cases unless you are a proffesional buyer of R/E. Think about 12% commisions that is a lot of money to have to make up because the buyer is actually paying for both agents in reality
Murphy Team, Agent, Portland, ME
Wed May 14, 2014
lots of good agents out there. You may want to see if your current agent can be salvaged before moving on. You both have time invested and it should be worth a frank conversation.
Lesley Moose, Agent, Bangor, ME
Sun Apr 27, 2014
There's no one to fire. You have no contract-therefore you do not have a "buyer agent"- only an agent who apparently isn't making you happy. Tell them you are not satisfied with their services- perhaps if they know WHY you're not happy - the situation can be remedied. If not- move on.
Jeff Mitchell, Agent, Wilton, ME
Tue Aug 13, 2013
In Maine a written buyer agency agreement is the law so if this agent has openly expressed that you are represented, and if he has acted on your behalf without a written agreement, he is in violation of the license law.
My NC Homes…, Agent, Chapel Hill, NC
Tue Aug 13, 2013
If you don't have a signed buyer broker agreement you can walk away anytime you like. You are not a client you are only a customer. I've attached a link below on that will instruct you on how to find a great agent regardless of where you're looking and you should plan on taking a little time to interview agents before deciding on who to work with. After reading the article, check out the Find an Agent tab at the top of every page on Trulia, this would be a good place to start.
Depearlhk, Home Buyer, Bangor, ME
Tue Aug 13, 2013
yes we are a buying agent in honkgkong.china & dubai pls contact. our e-mail id is depearlhk@gmail.com
Lesley Moose, Agent, Bangor, ME
Thu Sep 20, 2012
Since there is no written contract- you don't have a "buyer agent". You are a customer- not a client. There's no one to "fire". I would suggest you have a heart to heart talk with this agent and discuss why are you unhappy. If the agent doesn't know that you're unhappy or why you are unhappy with them - they can't correct the situation.

Lesley Moose
Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate/Town & Country
1162 Union St. Bangor,ME 04401
207-942-6711x154
Great answer Lesley
Flag Fri Nov 30, 2012
Jan Currier, Agent, Bangor, ME
Mon Oct 10, 2011
Kim, As has been expressed, Maine law requires that a written agreement be provided to a buyer in order to be authorized to provide buyer representation, which carries with it fiduciary duties such as loyalty,obedience,confidentiality, and the duty to look after the client's interest as if it is your own. The Maine legislature and Maine real estate commission ensured that a written agreement was in place so that you
would have an agent to look after your interests and so that you would have a stated standard by which to judge agent performance, and as guidelines for the agent to ensure that delivery.
Depending on your current relationship and concerns, I would encourage communication with your agent, to express your concerns, so that you can either address & resolve issues to your satisfaction, and decide whether the best course is to create a true buyer agent/client relationship and move forward together, or move on. If you have a written agreement, but not a buyer's agent agreement(there is also a transaction broker agreement for customers), then I would refer to terms within that agreement to address any release
or obligations that may remain in place. Keep the faith, and know that your interests can be well-served
within our marketplace! Best wishes on your new home success, Kim! Jan C
Marc White, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Mon Oct 10, 2011
If there is no contract, then there is no need to fire them (but, it would be nice to let them know). Good luck, go find a great agent.
Jeff Mitchell, Agent, Wilton, ME
Mon Oct 10, 2011
Kim, If you have no Brokerage Agreement with this agent then how is it you feel they are your buyer agent? It is a violation of Maine License Law & Rules for a licensee to act on your behalf, advise you, or perform any investigation or analysis of a property without a written agreement. Just saying they represent you does not create a relationship. I suggest that you call this licensee's Designated Broker and tell him of this behavior. He will either assure you that you are free to choose any agent you wish or perhaps assign you to an experienced person whose personality matches your own. Good luck.
Sergio Herna…, , Naples, FL
Mon Oct 10, 2011
Have you shared your feelings with the Realtor? Sometimes all it takes is dealing honestly with the truth to resolve issues.
Web Reference:  http://www.golftobeach.com
Carole L. Ma…, Agent, WELLS, ME
Mon Oct 10, 2011
Hi Kim! If you haven't signed a Buyer Agent Agreement with the agent then you aren't obligated to remain with him. That being said, however, you may want to have a face to face with your agent to let him know how you would like the home search process to go. It may be that the agent doesn't realize that he isn't meeting your expectations - it does happen on occasion! Best of luck to you and have a great day!
-Carole
Deja Lett, Agent, Saco, ME
Mon Oct 10, 2011
If there is no contract, I would think yes you can if there is nothing in writing to bind you to each other.
Ryan Rich, Agent, WINDHAM, ME
Mon Oct 10, 2011
Yes, you can but if you have not entered into a buyers broker agreement there is nothing holding you to that relationship. I would be happy to help you find the perfect home and if there is ever a time your not happy with my service, fire me!

Send me an email with the kind of criteria your looking for and I would be pull some together.

Email; ryanrich@masiello.com