how to evict a tenant from a property your purchasing?

Asked by Lola2009, 90230 Wed Dec 9, 2009

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Anika Berhang’s answer
Anika Berhang, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Mon Feb 7, 2011
Hi Lola,

Every city is slightly different and has more or less stringent rules when it comes to Rent Control, Rent Stabilization.
If you in fact need to terminate someones tenancy in order to for example move in yourself there might be, depending on the tenant and length of tenancy relocation costs associated which can become expensive.
Just to give you an idea, check out the various links below, like i said already, you will have to do your due diligence on a case by case basis, depending on which city the property is located in.……

Good luck, please feel free to email or call with any further questions!

Anika Berhang
The John Aaroe Group
14242 Ventura Blvd.
Sherman Oaks. CA. 91423
cell: 818.284.0434
fax: 818.783.7211
DRE# 01821300
0 votes
Grant Linsco…, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Wed Dec 9, 2009
Hi Lola,

You will want to refer to the rent control laws of the city where you are purchasing property to see if the tenants are protected under rent control or specific rights. After that your best bet if the tenant is not cooperating is to hire a lawyer to help you with your options. There are many great lawyers who handle evictions. Please let me know if you need a few referrals. I sell a ton of income property around Hollywood and can stear you in the right direction.

Best regards,

Grant Linscott
Keller Williams Realty
323.333.6222 cell
1 vote
BG, Home Buyer, Phoenix, AZ
Mon Feb 7, 2011
Put your buyer agent to work: put the language in the addendum "property MUST be vacated by COE and subject to final inspection". Seller may have to give "cash for key" but that is their (owner/listing agent) problem. You don't want to take this on !
0 votes
., , Los Angeles, CA
Mon Feb 7, 2011
Hi Lola:

Great question and one that needs special attention as City rules and regulations can change on a dime. A great resource is 311. Simply dial 311 and you'll be connected with the L.A. City information hotline. You will get a live person and explain to them what you need done. Most likely they will transfer you to the Rent Control Department. This is a good start to gather facts. However, also connect with the Apartment Owners Association http://(, as they represent the apartment owner, where as Rent Control can lean on the side of the tenant. AOA can also offer an several reputable eviction attorneys, who will also provide a lot of insight before the process begins.

Renee’ Kische
Keller Williams Hollywood Hills
0 votes
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Wed Dec 9, 2009
Do they have a lease? If not you can put pressure on the seller to start eviction; you may also want to seek the advice of an attorney specialing in real estate.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more