how to change real estate agent?

Asked by Andy, West Chester, PA Sat Jul 5, 2008

we met an agent when we saw one open house last few weeks. and later in the week he showed us a model home for a new construction. we even asked him to call the listing agent to find out more detailed information. but when we asked him couple questions about the neighborhood, he seems not know much about the areas and school districts.

yesterday my friend recommend one great local agent. can i change agent and contact new agent to make offer?

Answers

5
Daniel, , Baton Rouge, LA
Fri Jul 11, 2008
the "new agent" didnt do a thing to "earn" your business. Reality is that you wish to use this friend of a friend for social reasons

My realtor friends never show home unless there is a contract to protect them from situtions like this!

Shameful
;, , Riverhead, NY
Sat Jul 5, 2008
In the case of many (but not all) builders, that Realtor that introduced you to the property is the Realtor that is due compensation from the builder. When I was a builder rep, it was something that we took seriously, because the property would not have been shown without the guidance of the initial agent. Our registrations covered the first agent for 30 days, at which point it would then be OK, in the absence of a renewal, to have another Realtor included, with the first eliminated from compensation. Check with the listing agent, but if you would not have located the property without the first Realtor, I'd wait until the 30 days have passed, or give this Realtor the opportunity to get your questions answered. It's more an ethical dilemma than anything else.
Web Reference:  http://optionsrealty.com
D. Derderian, Agent, West Chester, PA
Sun Aug 3, 2008
I usually don't get involved with expressing my opinions about school districts with a client. I assure them that that would be up to the client to decide. Also depending on what kind of area question your looking for example crime, you can go and ask the local authorities. You don't have to place blame on the realtor becuase he could not answer your question. It does'nt make him or her a bad realtor.
Andy, Both Buyer And Seller, West Chester, PA
Sat Jul 5, 2008
just one more note: we didn't sign any written contract with the agent
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Sat Jul 5, 2008
No if the agent showed you this house then the offer needs to placed by the agent who assisted you. It all depends on what your buyers rep agreement stated. http://www.lynn911.com