Kstulgis, Home Buyer in Kalama, WA

how to buy without a realtor?

Asked by Kstulgis, Kalama, WA Sun May 13, 2012

Answers

12
Hi. If you want to buy a home without a Realtor, simply call or knock on the door of the house you are interested in. If there is a Realtor sign on the property, it means the seller has listed the property with a Realtor and the Realtor will be paid from the seller's proceeds when the transaction closes. The seller likely signed a contract at the beginning of the listing and is already figuring on that amount coming out of the proceeds. If there is no Realtor sign in front, you and the seller will handle your own negotiations. You can either write up a contact or use a form often found at print shops. You could also turn to a local title company for assistance in writing up and recording your transaction. There are none in Kalama, but in Longview you could try Stewart or Cowlitz Title. They are both great. Also, if you go to the County courthouse in Kelso (it is on N. 5th just east of the Allen street bridge) and talk to the Auditor's office they can give you further guidance as to the form you need to record your real estate purchase. Sometimes buyers and sellers (non-Realtor represented) work together to make these types of deals easy.

Just an FYI: If you are a buyer you don't have to pay a Realtor to help you. A seller makes a contract with a listing Realtor which involves the seller paying the Realtor's company a commission. Half of that commission is paid to the buyer's Realtor's company, who in turn pays the buyer's Realtor.

Hope this is helpful.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 30, 2012
The truth of the matter is that history will show that far more real estate transactions have take place witout real estate agents than those that have.

With this said, there is far more litigaton in today's society than there ever has been...just watch television and count the number of attornies that are advertising their services.

Yes, any one can buy without the support of a RE professional but to do so may be taking a huge step in the world of unknown risk.....

If you are still bent on finding a home without a realtor, consider seeking property that is "for sale by owner," They aren't working with an agent either.......

1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 14, 2012
Not sure why you would choose to buy a home without a Realtor. Most commissions are paid by the seller. I feel it is very important to use one to protect you throughout the whole process. They will protect you and walk you through it. Finding the home is the easy part, getting it together is the part where you will see it is worth your time to work with a Real Estate Professional.
In California, the majority of lawsuits all feature one thing in common: at least one of the parties was unrepresented by a real estate agent.

We have bought and sold in Washington and always used a WA real estate agent even though we are CA real estate agents ourselves. Agents know the market and the laws and regulations. As a buyer it doesn't cost you anything to use absolutely the best agent ever. If you need a referral, please let me know.
You can always buy without an agent, but why on earth would you do that? Would you go to court without an attorney. With all the experience we have, it makes no sense.
Web Reference: http://tristarfinance.com
I live in the zip code in which you inquire. I would like to know (if I may ask) why would you not use a Realtor to purchase a home? If you have found a home that is a for sale by owner, you can still use a Realtor to represent you in purchasing the home. If you have had a bad experience, I would encourage you to ask for a recommendation from your friends or family. Or, call an agent that you do not know and interview them.
There are many, many "layers" in purchasing a home. Make sure you are protected, and well represented.
Easy. Make an offer.

Use a lawyer to draft the appropriate documents.

If the house you're interested in is listed with a Realtor, then you'll still be dealing with one . . . the listing agent. If the house is FSBO, then no agent will be involved.

All transactions ultimately are between the buyer and the seller. The agents are just there to facilitate the transaction.

So: Contact a lawyer and let him/her handle the details.
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
A couple of comments. 1) Dan gave a good answer. 2) Bill, I believe your statistics also include sales to family members and neighbors, which are not arm's length transactions.
Actually the vast majority of Real Estst transactions take place with a Real Estate agent. Most of the properties for sale are through an agent. You can keep an ye out in the newspaper and websites, but chances re you will need to enlist the help of an agent. Why not make your life easierm!
I once had a mole on my arm I wanted removed and read a book on medicine.....but somehow, I didn't feel comfortable doing the surgery......so, I got someone skilled at that task.....I feel the same way about real estate transactions....good luck!
how to buy without a realtor??

carefully................very carefully!!

:)

(if you have to ask, perhaps you do need one)

Kidding aside - if you want to make such a huge purchase on your own, you better make sure to do your due dilligence and educate yourself on the market and the home buying process, as there is no oneline answer to your question.

Best wishes.........
Kstulgis,
If a property is for sale by owner, you are free to view, offer and negotiate on your own. You can hire an attorney to prepare a contract and rely on your own judgment and sites like Zillow to determine value. Just remember automated valuations are 10% to 20% off by their own admissions in many cases.
If a property is already listed with an agent, you can use the listing agent; they work for the seller and legally represent them first, even if they claim they will be independent dual agency brokers. A Broker is still involved, but only one and they will gladly take the full commission.
Once a property is listed, the commission is already promised and other than discount or rebate agents not available to the buyer.
Discount and rebate agents are more varied in their skill set than other agents, but no matter which type of agent you choose, choose carefully. A great agent is worth what they get paid and a bad one will cost you more than just a commission.
I brought a home without a realtor. Worked out great didn't have to pay his commission so i saved alot in my pocket. All i did was pay my lawyer $1000 and he took care of everything.
Flag Fri Feb 1, 2013