how safe and desirable is the area around van vorst park as compared to paulus hook and newport?

Asked by milton, New York, NY Sun Feb 22, 2009

Answers

5
Gilli Axel, Agent, Jersey City, NJ
Sun Feb 22, 2009
Ilanit,

Van Vorst park is about 10% less expensive than Paulus Hook because it is not as close to the water. Van Vorst is a very desirable neighborhood and my personal favorite in downtown Jersey City. There are several historic brownstones surrounding the park which characterize the neighborhood. Its just a short walk to Grove Street where you will find shops, restaurants and the PATH station which is just 2 stops to World Trade Center. Newport consists of mostly luxury high-rise commercial and residential buildings whereas Paulus Hook features luxury mid-rise and brownstone construction. I wouldn't say any of these neighborhoods are safer than the other.

Jason
John Sacktig, Agent, New Jersey, NJ
Sun Feb 22, 2009
llanit -

As Jason States below, Van Vorst is a very desireable neighborhood as well as Newport for different reasons. As Realtors, these types of questions can not be answered as far as neighborhood saftey and such, it would be of each individuals opinion and can be misconstrued as as inapproriate.

I would sugggest you go to each neighborhood and check it out for yourself and get a feel for the area you may want to live. And by all means contact Jason! As I know from his posts, he seems to have his finger on the pulse of these areas.

Good Luck.
Walter Burns, Agent, Hoboken, NJ
Mon Feb 23, 2009
IIanit,

For crime stats and information, I recommend contacting the Jersey City Police Department. They can provide you with the most accurate information on the various neighborhoods that you have questions about. Here is their website...

http://www.njjcpd.org/

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

All the best in your home search!

--
Walter J. Burns
Realtor-Associate
Weichert Realtors
1 Newark St.
Hoboken, NJ 07030
201-653-8488 Ext: 230
201-694-8946 Mobile
201-653-4154 Fax
wburns@weichert.com
Gilli Axel, Agent, Jersey City, NJ
Sun Feb 22, 2009
Ilanit,

The most direct way that I can answer your questions is to say that I would feel safe if it were my family living in the Van Vorst Park neighborhood. I have friends with children that live in the area and they couldn't be happier.

I would feel comfortable investing in a primary residence in this and other areas of downtown Jersey City. There are certainly more tertiary areas outside of downtown Jersey City that I would advise against.

I would further clarify that Van Vorst is not in transition and that the core of the neighborhood is very stable. However, there are plans for expansion in areas adjacent to Van Vorst namely Liberty Harbor. This expansion along the Morris canal is a phased development over the next several years and does not threaten the stability of the surrounding area but will serve to provide more amenities and points of interest that add value to the community.

You should come and visit the neighborhood, my office is just 1 block from the park. I think you'll like what you see and I'd be happy to show you around.

Jason
milton, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Sun Feb 22, 2009
John and Jason thank you for your answers, I know Jersey City is undergoing a major transformation is the Van Vorst area still in transition? I am thinking of moving there and want to know it is a safe investment and safe for me and my children.