how much would it cost to have a duplex build from the ground up?

Asked by Shayla, Miami, FL Mon Apr 18, 2011

Answers

10
Tatumlea, Home Buyer, Sebastopol, CA
Fri Jun 17, 2016
A duplex can appear in a free-standing structure of two or more dwellings, but these will not have common walls, and will only touch at floors or ceilings. This is the reason that a duplex building tends to be smaller in total size than an apartment building.

For the purpose of this discussion we will look at a standard duplex containing four dwellings 900 square feet each. This translates to more than 4000 square feet of construction, and assumes a "footprint" of approximately 30'x60' for the building.

The building of a duplex building would never be a ""DIY"" project and requires a knowledgeable contractor, an architect, a team of subcontractors, and a cooperative developer/owner to get the job done quickly.

Web Reference: http://USAConstructionLoans.com
Scott Hulen, , 64068
Mon Apr 18, 2011
depending on area of the country & items spec'd for the duplex 80-90 per sq ft is usually a builders cost then add for land & permits, impact fees, closing fees, interest during construction, insurance for property plus a blanket policy & real estate fees. If you are not a builder and have been around the block I do not advise doing it yourself. You invite people to take advantage of you by not knowing the rules of the game. Example you get 4 bids for a roof for said duplex 7800,8200,7600 and 6500. you go with the 6500 bid they do a good job clean up after themselves roof doesnt leak all is good right? No because they didnt pay the roofing supplier for the materials, you now have a lien and you must pay the 5000 bill for the materials total in for this problem 11500. Same thing could happen on paint, concrete ect...
Leo Santos, Agent, Coral Gables, FL
Mon Apr 18, 2011
I'm currently working with an investor that's building a 2400 sq. ft. duplex. His price estimate is $87 per square foot.
Rosemama58, Home Buyer, Miami, FL
Sat Sep 10, 2016
how much to build duplex in Prescott valley AZ
Va39developm…, Home Buyer, Tracy, CA
Fri Jun 17, 2016
With mid-range materials, a normal foundation with full and finished basement, efficient doors and windows, all appliances, and "turnkey" finishing the structure would require an average of $138,500 per unit to complete. This does not include acquisition of the building lot or site.
Genevieve Ra…, Agent, Punta Gorda, FL
Fri Apr 22, 2011
Shayla,
While at this present time it is better to buy than to build - Cost of building depends so much on what you want. Formica counter top or Granite? It all makes a huge difference.
There are so many things that all add up and you would need to go to a builder to get a better answer.

Genevieve Ramachandran
gabriel palo…, Agent, Pompano Beach, FL
Wed Apr 20, 2011
Shayia,
Cost to have a duplex build from the ground up? Why.....
it is cheaper to buy it on a resale today than to build it.
Rick Kendle…, , Miami Beach, FL
Tue Apr 19, 2011
Hi Shayla:
1. I represent hundreds on multi-unit owners with Property Tax Appeals, and none of the comparable duplexes sold prices would come close to the cost of construction, which is about $100/SF in Dade County for that type of property.
2. There are deals everywhere, and would recommend that you find a realtor to help find you one. For mortgages, duplexes and 4-plexes are considered "residential property", just like a single family home. Properties with more than 4 units (5 and up) are considered "commercial", and the loan process is extremely difficult.
3. If you do buy a duplex at a great price at some point, contact us to reduce the property tax value. Almost all duplexes are over-assessed in Dade County.
Rick Kendle
FL Property Tax Appeals, LLC
305-772-6688
tax123@me.com
George Cabez…, Agent, Homestead, FL
Tue Apr 19, 2011
The price of the land depends on the area you want to build on, you may have to ask yourself where you are looing to build 1st . For the structure itself, you should ask a general contractor. In todays market it is better to buy something already built. Material to construct is high, plus pernmits and labor, but you can find a property for a cheaper price. Properties are at an all time low and you can get great deals out there. As a realtor I may be able to help. For more information or to view propertis you can go to my website at :
http://realestate1miami.sef.mlxchange.com
Thank you for your question,
George - Choice One Real Estate
Alex Cabrera, Agent, Kendale Lakes, FL
Mon Apr 18, 2011
Shayla,

I am a Realtor / investor that has been "hands on" involved in construction projects. There are many aspects to the building process. Because of the buyers market we are currently in, I would recommend you try to buy something already built before starting a project. By the time you add up land and building costs, it's just not worth it. Also consider zoning issues, extremely high property taxes, and the time and headaches of building.

I deal with everything from duplexes to big apartment buildings on a daily basis. I would be more than happy to assist you in finding your duplex. Call me and I can advise you depending on your needs.

Alex Cabrera, CDPE CSSA
Florida Realty of Miami
786-380-2383 (Cel)
305-357-5899 (Fax)
(Certified Distressed Property Expert)
(Certified Short Sale Agent)
http://www.CabreraProperties.com