how long does it take to get "Clear to close" after title search has been submitted to the lender?

Asked by Remo, New York, NY Mon Oct 1, 2012

My attorney sent the title report in to the lender and it's now been a week and we still have not yet received a "clear to close" yet back from the lender. I've spoken many time within the week with my loan officer who keeps saying they are working on it ect.

Answers

14
Nick Gandhi’s answer
Nick Gandhi, Agent, Stamford, CT
Tue Oct 2, 2012
There are too many variables here to determine how long it would take. However, it really depends on the underwriter and the process of that lender. Sometimes they are backlogged, other times this may not be a priority for them. In either case, if you call and keep putting pressure on them, it usually speeds up things.

Nick Gandhi
Equity Capital Real Estate
(203) 280 3838
Charlie Summ…, Agent, New York, NY
Mon Oct 1, 2012
In my experience with this there's no telling how long it will take. Some times the clear to close comes very quickly after everything is in and I had cases this year where it took some weeks. Best thing to do is exactly what you're doing- keep following up with the lender and your mortgage broker if any. Try to find out whatever you can about what's really holding it up (in other words is there some other reason than just heavy workload at the lender) and keep an eye on your rate lock expiration.
Alexiskanee, Home Buyer, South Miami, FL
Thu Jun 11, 2015
When issued a clear to close that means we are just waiting on a few items from escrow/seller to close your loan, but do not do any like have a new credit run, go on vacation, quit your job, move any money around, but you should be fine, most lenders will not draw final loan docs on a loan that can not close unless something happens in your situation like the job loss, etc, but should be fine.

Reference Link: http://titlecompanies.net/
Tom Sommers, Agent, Lakeville, MN
Sun Dec 8, 2013
Every deal is different and there is no set time line. A traditional sale from start to finish takes about 30 day or up to 45 if you are getting some type of down payment assistance
Anna Coffman, Home Buyer, Lebanon, OH
Sun Dec 8, 2013
My husband and I have been trying for a home loan since Jan 2013. We have went through 2 lenders, and we finally found one who will process our stuff. We Lost one house already because the first 2 lenders said we didnt have proof of rent and they wouldnt go around that, that they couldnt do anything more or move forward with things because of that. My opinion, (unfair). The lender we are going through now, ( after we went back and found another home because the last sellers didnt want us as buyers anymore), he asked us to give him alot of docs, so we did just that. EVERYTHING. Once everything was in, they said go ahead with the inspections & apraisals. Once that was all completed everything was running okay. heard hear nothing for 3 weeks. Now keep in mind we started this loan process for this property with this bank in around the 2nd week of august. it is now dec 5th. they started coming out with emails basicaly asking me what color clothes i wear, a million things. I answered everything they asked in writting within minutes everytime i needed something.

this has went on untill oh about a week before thanks giving. we have had to sign 3 extensions for this home in which the second was going to expire on thanks giving 2013 and we still had no word on closing. after thanks giving my realitor had already asked the sller to sign an extexnion and he did thank god! now we are waiting for the title to come back, they said we have enough money in the bank to close, and they would get with me on monday to let me know when the title comes in.an anyone tell me why in the hell this has had to take so freakin long? and whats going to happen after the title no one will answer my questions directly, nor will the give me a concrete answer on ANYTHING. I'm the customer, not them. Why are they treating us this way?
this is a FHA home loan that we are getting no one will let us got conventional, everyone tells us its not for us? and they wont let us make that disicion. someone shed so true light on this and explain to me why this has taken over 4 months? thanks -Anna
Remo, Home Owner, New York, NY
Tue Oct 2, 2012
Thank you everyone for your advice.
I'll have to sit and wait I guess .

It does concern me as my loan officer keeps promising me it will be clear the next day yet I still have not received anything back nor can I get further details as to what the hold up is.
James Furlong, Agent, Brookline, MA
Tue Oct 2, 2012
I agree with the other comments - you are at the mercy of the underwriter and the closing department.
Janet Nation,…, Agent, Baldwin, NY
Mon Oct 1, 2012
There's a lot more than sending a Title report to get you a "clear to close". We have no idea where you are in the process. Some attorneys order the Title right at the beginning of your application, others do it much later, after you have a commitment avoiding a potentially unnecessary expense if your loan is denied. I would try to relax and let the process run its course. Calling the loan officer several times during the week is not going to help your cause. Hopefully soon you will be a homeowner.
Nick Rafello,…, Agent, NY,
Mon Oct 1, 2012
Omer,

It's unfortunate, but banks are really taking their time. Sometimes you're lucky and things go quickly. I have buyers right now that have been waiting for 4 weeks to hear "clear to close." So, hold on.....
dploves2sell…, Agent, Woodbury, NY
Tue Jan 27, 2015
In my experience, there is no way of determining how many days it will take. One would hope that it would be 30-45 days, but there are to many things that go into closing a loan. I would keep in touch with your Lender to make sure the transaction goes smoothly.
ruben rayside, Agent, New York, NY
Fri Aug 8, 2014
It should be no more than 30 to 45 days
Christopher…, Agent, Tarrytown, NY
Mon Oct 1, 2012
It really depends on the lending institution and any remaining conditions...unfortunately you are at the underwriters mercy.

Chris
Jacques Ambr…, Agent, Forest Hills, NY
Mon Oct 1, 2012
As the others here are saying it can take at least a week, and sometimes a few weeks. If you are using a major lender it shouldn't go more than 2 weeks I would say
Gene Neal, , Ronkonkoma, NY
Mon Oct 1, 2012
It depends on your broker and the bank you are receiving the loan from. If you continue to have problems or questions don't hesitate to contact me.
im buying cash a home how much do i have to pay for the Title?
Flag Wed Jan 1, 2014