Home Buying in Boise>Question Details

Bllsla, Home Buyer in Boise, ID

how long are homes on the market before they sell ?

Asked by Bllsla, Boise, ID Tue Sep 18, 2012

average in Boise and average in 50 mile radius.

Well it depends on a few things. The neighborhood and proper pricing are always important but I've seen houses get 6 offers in the first 24 hours and close within two weeks.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 18, 2012
No more then 60 days. Takes Longer Get Another Agent!
The one key that is generally overlooked is that there has to be a buyer that wants your particular home. I have yet to see a buyer convinced to buy your home if they weren't satisfied that it met their needs.
The market in Ada county has been very brisk all summer and is expected to remain so. In Canyon county it is improving but lagging behind Ada county. You see DOM on many listings. That stands for "days on market". That is a very important criteria to ask your realtor about. If you see a listing with significant DOM you need to ask why. In this market if the home is priced right it should sell relatively quickly (30-45 days). I would be happy to answer this question about any geographic area, town, or neighborhood you are specifically interested in.

Thank you, Rick Gehrke

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 23, 2012
One thing that none of us really addressed two well was the 50 mile radius question.

Very few buyers ever tell their Realtor they are looking in Boise +/- 50 miles. Instead, they target cities if not neighborhoods and school districts. Appraiser's traditional try to stay within about 3 mile radius of less.

Most Realtor's including myself offer a free market analysis of your home to tell you what we think it may be worth, what it may sell for, what you can do to increase the odds of selling (staging, cost effective repairs, curb appeal, etc.)

There is so much more to selling your home than just setting the price and putting it in the MLS! If you are looking to sell your home, ask for written marketing plans, advertising budgets, past success rates, references, specialty designations, and more. Buying and selling a home is a very big decision so make sure you take the time to choose the right Realtor in Boise.

Jim Paulson, CRS, GRI, EPRO, SRES
Owner/Broker - Progressive Realty Corporation
Hello Bllsla,
Sounds like a trick question. The variables as stated below are great:
-price range
-listing agent
-seller's motivation
-time of year
The Boise market is so different that markets 50 miles away (Mountain Home or Parma)
Love to help you if you can email me the reason for your questions.
Amy Miller
Silvercreek Realty Group
Real Estate Professional
Some properties never sell so it really depends on how you treat those listings in your "averages". Also, what about the listings that don't sell with their first listing agent/agency and are resold later? A lot depends on the marketing and the pricing of the home. It is critical to look at the whole picture before jumping to conclusions! For example, most fresh food in the stores sells in 1-3 days, but some is discarded without ever selling.

I wonder what the 651 homes that expired or were cancelled without selling so far this year in Boise would think of some of the other "averages" noted by other agents?

In August 2012, there were 164 residential properties that closed in Boise priced between 75k and 150k. Their average days on the market was only 52 days. However when I look at the price range from $250k to $500k the average of the 84 homes actually drops to 44! Surprisingly, when you look at homes priced from $500k-$1 million that closed in August in Boise, the average days on market is only 27 days!

You must keep in mind that these are only average the successful sales however! To get a more realistic answer, you should look at "absorption rates". That would tell you how long it will take to absorb the inventory at current sales paces. Currently, in Boise, there are 95 homes listed for sale as active or contingent in the Intermountain MLS. Therefore, it will actually take over 3 months at the current sales pace to sell just the listings that are currently available!

As you can hopefully see, there is a lot more to the picture than just average days!

Hope this helps!

Jim Paulson, CRS, GRI, EPRO, SRES
Good question - depends on the marketing - If your home is well priced and staged - (in a decent location) a few days to a month - If your home does not show well and is over priced or in a bad location 3 - 6 months, or longer.

As a buyers agent, my experience with existing re-sales is they need to have emotional appeal to sell or priced so low that they are bought for price alone (under valued)

I don't list homes as I work with buyers only, however if you would like a top referral for a staging Seller Agent - call Debbie Sargent Coe also with 43 Degrees North Real Estate - 863-3092 - Debbies Listing when staged have been averaging 2 weeks to 4 weeks.

Good Luck and best wishes - Call me if you become a buyer for homes in the Treasure Valley

Dale Alverson
Exclusive Buyer Agent
43 Degrees North Real Estate
You have received great answers to your question. I did a search in Boise and found in the month from August 1 to September 1 that the average number of days on the market was 48 and the median number of days was 21. On the 50 mile radius search, the average number of days was 58 and the median was 27. That is great marketing time. As stated before, the days on the market for properties also will be determined by price, condition and location. The market is very active at this time and some properties are getting multiple offers. Pricing and days on the market can be very specific to individual neighborhoods and different areas of the valley. If you have any further questions on a particular area of Boise or any other area in the valley, please do not hesitate to let me know. Just know that I am here to help you when you need help.
It depends on so many variables that it is difficult to estimate with any degree of certainty. If you ask five different agents, you will get five different answers.

What is certain is that the real estate market in Boise is currently pretty strong due to a lack of inventory, low interest rates, and high demand.

If your primary goal is to sell quickly, list price will most likely be your most important consideration. Understanding the macro and micro market conditions and values will help an experienced agent provide you with a realistic sales price range. Be wary of the agent who "promises" to sell your home for top dollar in a quick amount of time! This is a common tactic of listing agents who over promise and under deliver.

My best advice is to interview a couple of agents and ask for references. Also speak with past and current clients. You can perform your own due diligence by searching real estate websites to find comments and testimonials about the agents you are considering working with.

Also, ask to see the agent's year-to-date production numbers. If they have not been active in the LOCAL market for the last 6 months or so then they probably are not up-to-speed with current market conditions. This lack of up-to-date market knowledge could cost YOU money. Many agents are part-time and thus lack knowledge and expertise necessary to be well qualified. Make sure you find an agent who is a full-time professional.

- I hope this helps. Feel free to call me with questions!

Natalie Filbert GRI, SFR
Associate Broker
Mountain Realty

Hi Bllsla-

All the answers you have gotten thus far are right on. Most importantly though is why the question?

Are you a seller frustrated with how long it's taking to sell or a buyer trying to understand why you can't find a home to buy? There may be other factors or questions to be considered.

If we can be of any additional assistance, please let us know.

It depends on the area, price and property type. Within a 50 Mile radius, there are so many property types and different areas. My houses are averaging 47 days on the market and are coming I am getting about 98.7% of asking price.

As Dustin stated, it would depend on the a lot of factors. Price, condition, marketing will be the big three in determining the days on market (DOM). For instance, in August the average DOM for single family homes in Ada county was 54.

If you break that out further with specific criteria such as price, size, area, etc…, the days on market count should change. Even within specific neighborhoods that are right next to each other, the average days on market can vary widely.
In Ada county, the average days on market for homes sold was 56 days for the month of August. In Canyon County the average days on market for sold homes was 64 days. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Roger Patterson
If they are priced right and in good shape, not very long! It depends on price point too as there seems to be high demand for anything under $150,000.
There are alot of variables and I'd be happy to go over them with you if you'd like to call me.

Sandy Doerty