Pat, Home Buyer in Yonkers, NY

how is the NYC commute from Franklin Lakes NJ?

Asked by Pat, Yonkers, NY Tue Jun 24, 2008

Hello, I'm a little confused by one of the answers here- Franklin Lakes is a GREAT town to commute from into NYC! I've lived here for well over 20 years and go into Manhattan often. I have clients every day who purchase homes in Franklin Lakes, Wyckoff and Oakland specifically for the great schools, beautiful natural lakes w amazing homes and lovely property AND the easy commute into NYC. There is Rt 208 to Rt 4 and over the GWB. You could take a train minutes away in any number of towns there's multiple train stations in Mahwah, Ridgewood, Glen Rock etc etc. all are within 5 miles of Franklin lakes . You could even take Rt 208 to Rt 17 South to the Turnpike to the Lincoln Tunnel. However that way in my opinion way too complicated and too long.

Regardless of where I'm going in the city I always take the George Washington Bridge becausue of the access and ease of Rt 208 to Rt 4 and from there I make my way accross town or down the West side Highway. Now depending on the time you're traveling you will have traffic. Route 208 at certain times in the morning and evening commutes can be a pain however that's the case most everywhere if you travel at peek times. As long as I'm not going at rush hour in or out then its 20-30 minutes for sure. I do it ALL the time!
Feel free to give me a call to discuss this or any other questions you might have , homes in the area etc.
Best of Luck,
Dianna Ivanov
Terrie O'Connor Realtors
That is not all together true. I am a consulstant and travel in the reverse I always see backed up traffic on route 208. There are magnificant houses in Franklin Lakes and my daughter is looking for an easy compute to NYC. Do you know if you can park in Glen Rock and take the train or any other communities around
Flag Fri Jan 31, 2014
Thank you for your question - "how is commute to NYC from Franklin Lakes". The answer is excellent. By bus from town the commute is approximately 45min to 1 hour and by car the the commute is approximately 1 hour. You may also travel to NYC by train from one of the surrounding towns which would take you about 25 minutes.
Please contact me on my cell: 201-637-3422 or email me:

Patricia J. Lawler
Broker Sales/Marketing
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 5, 2012
Spamming is not allowed here within the community. Participation requires reading and abiding by Community Guidelines. I've noticed this occuring more recently along with providing the same information that prior posts contain, which should have been reviewed first. It's not clear what you meant by "The answer is excellent", unless you were referring to the previous Realtor's answers. To state that one could get to NYC by train in 25 minutes from a surrounding town is misleading, because they would also have to drive for 20-25 minutes to get to such a town for a 25 minute train commute, aside from finding a place to legally park. Selective wording to mislead does not serve consumers effectively and conveys a lack of professionalism. Also, this question was posted almost 4 years ago (2008) and nothing has changed within that time to alter any of the facts offered in the previous Realtor responses, which were posted within weeks of the question, rather than years.
Flag Sat May 5, 2012
Unfortunately their is no easy commute. Ridgewood and towns on the 17 corridore (have train stations too) are much better. About 20 minutes from Park and Ride in Ridgewood.

Louise call or text me at 201 232-8744
Hi Pat,

Peter was correct on the NY Express buses, and Oakland would be the quickest with plentiful parking. The bus leaves around 7:05 a.m. from Oakland and leaves Manhattan around 5:30 p.m.with a one hour commute. The closest trains would be the stations in Glen Rock, Ridgewood, Fairlawn ... or Hawthorne, which runs a different line. Many people drive the route each day from Franklin Lakes and surrounding areas and actually prefer it to public transportation. Outside of rush hour traffic and any unforeseen accidents/hazards, the trip takes about 40 minutes from Franklin Lakes to Manhattan. There has been some discussion over the years at the town levels in Oakland, Franklin Lakes, and Wyckoff to convert the freight lines back over to commuter lines, but may take several more years to see that change, due to the numerous goverment sectors involved in this process. Visit my website for community and commuter information for Northwest Bergen County, home of Franklin Lakes.
Web Reference:
Not real great. You can pick up the NY Express buses in Oakland, Ramsey, Wyckoff, Ridgewood or Wayne. Several have "Park and Ride". Actually driving in makes sense to a lot of people with Rte 208 passing through the center of town. Either way ts going to take well over 1 hour. Oakland is probably the closest so if you are looking at houses choose the West end of town as the bus goes down Rte 202 but I don't know off hand how the parking is. Need more info drop me an email and I will be happy to provide.
Franklin Lakes does not have it's own train station; you would have to go to nearby towns like Ramsey, or Wyckoff. Shortline that provides bus service to NYC.