how do i claim abandoned real estate in new york city?

Asked by PinkButterfli Stephens, South Ozone Park, Queens, NY Wed Jan 27, 2010

Answers

6
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Mon Oct 24, 2011
This question dates last year, it took this long to locate the owner....Foreverbling, you stated below you know the name and actual address of the owner--in that case, you can mail a quick note to the owner expressing your interest in purchasing the property, or possibly call, or if the owner lives locally, possibly knock on the door--if you come to an agreement on price, hire an attorney to handle the contract details; if paying with a mortgage it's a good idea to be prepared, have a mortgage pre-approval letter handy; if purchasing in cash, have a bank letter stating proof of funds ready....
Annette Levi…, , New York, NY
Mon Oct 24, 2011
Foreverbling, if you know the seller and can agree upon a price it is like any purchase. Their lawyer draws up a contract and you lawyer reviews it with you before signing. You apply for a mortgage.
Foreverbling, Home Buyer, Queens, NY
Mon Oct 24, 2011
This message is to Ana Brocco who wrote: "There is no such thing as claiming real estate--abondoned or not it has an owner--if you are interested is a particular property and would like to buy it, check out the local public records or tax department, it will tell you who the actual owner is."

How about if you know the name and address of the acutal owner...what then? How do approach the owner and what are the legalities of such transactions?

forevebling@gmail.com
Well I know of cases where if a property is vacant and abandoned, you can squat and pay the bills, for anywhere between 2-5 years, the city may deed you the property.
Flag Sun Mar 12, 2017
Sun Jan 31, 2010
There is no such thing as claiming real estate--abondoned or not it has an owner--if you are interested is a particular property and would like to buy it, check out the local public records or tax department, it will tell you who the actual owner is.
I found a property in my neighborhood. Who has no claimant . Owner and his wife died. Property is deserted and looks like no one is claimant. I check online and property is still in Deceased. I see pending property tax $20k Can I buy the property from NY state by paying tax. or what the process. I have also checked property has no bank loan. Please guide legal process to buy it before City put it under auction
Flag Fri May 29, 2015
Emily Erekuff, Home Owner, Menifee, CA
Wed Jan 27, 2010
Hi Nikki,

It looks like your question was duplicated. You can find another answer to your question at the link below.

Best Wishes,

Emily Gibson
Community Moderator
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Wed Jan 27, 2010
You can not just claim it as your own. If the former owner abandons it, (moves out without notifying their bank) the bank will still hold a lien against it in the form of the mortgage. There may also be liens such as property taxes and hoa fees. Usually it is only a matter of time before the system catches up with the non paying owner and teh property is secured and goes to a foreclosure auction which clears the deed. If the bank buys it back then it is placed with a local broker and sold.
Web Reference:  http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
If it doesn't have a mortgage and you pay the taxes you can claim it
Flag Sun Mar 12, 2017
What if it is paid off and the owner has abandoned it because it could not keep up on the taxes. Can someone claim the home or purchase it from the government?
Flag Fri Mar 22, 2013