how do I switch real estate agents if I have already put an offer on a house?

Asked by Sherrylove08, Hamtramck, MI Thu May 7, 2009

I started working with my agent in january and was getting no where I was the one doing all the reaserch and basicllay all we did was communicate through email. on april 16 I signed a purchaser agreement on a short sale house and sent a copy of a 500 emd. now my agent is out of office again this is usual with her and I want out of the deal that has not been accepted and I dont want to work with her anymore what do I do?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


oscar echeve…, Agent, Hollywood, FL
Sat Dec 15, 2012
Once you find the property you are looking for, I will help you legally reduce the price during the inspection period or simply save you thousands of dollars and prevent you for buying a property in bad condition or worse than what it looks. We are Licensed and Insured Home Inspector and General Contractors.
For a sample of one of our reports, pelase visit
Feel free to call me with any questions at
Oscar Echeverri
GAIA Construction Inc
0 votes
Julie Kryuko…, Agent, Beverly Hills, CA
Fri Sep 24, 2010

You should absolutely ask to be released from your contract. It is extremely important to work with an agent who is literally going to walk you thru every step of the process. Buying a home is a HUGE decision and probably one of the biggest financial and even emotional decisions you will make and you need a professional who will educate you and be there for you. Communication thru email only is unacceptable...unfortunately these days people seem to be scared to pick up a phone or set up a face to face meeting with email, facebook, twitter, and everything else! I would either mention your concerns to your agent and see if she makes a real effort to make you comfortable or MOVE on...there are too many great agents out there for you to waste your time with someone who isn't doing their job.

Best of Luck!!

0 votes
Jose Castillo…, Agent, Hollywood, FL
Thu May 7, 2009
Hi Sherry,
Beth is correct you can request from her broker to send you a realese and cancelation for your offer on the property and it should be signed by both parties so you can receive your EMD back. Make sure you did not sign any exclusive representaion agreement with your current realtor.

this will realse you from any obligations to both the sellers and your agent. Then you can start your search again for the home or condo of your desire.

If you need any help finding your new home i would be happy to work with you. I am always available to my clients at any time 7 days a week. I have lived in South Florida for over 30 years and pride myself in knowing our local market areas.

good luck

Jose Castillo
Coral Shores Realty
954-240-3940 or
Web Reference:
0 votes
Beth Jenkins, Agent, Miami Lakes, FL
Thu May 7, 2009
If the deal is at an end, as I assume it is because you do not want to pursue the short sale any longer, your relationship with that realtor is over unless you signed an exclusive representation agreement. And that can be ended simply by signing to end it. Just be sure also to sign a relese and cancellation of contract on the short sale. If you cannot reasch the agent, just ask fo the broker of the office and have the broker follow throught on this cancellations for you. Be sure you have a copy sent to you once the seller signs it.

Short sales are very tedious and can take months. There are many good deals out there that are not short sales, you may find something else that suits you.

Feel free to contact me or look through my companies web-site and if you see anything you like or would like me to do a specifric search for you feel free to contct me.
Good luck!

Beth Jenkins
Souht Florida Brokers
Web Reference:
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more