Home Buying in Palm Bay>Question Details

Karen Grenner…, Other/Just Looking in Palm Bay, FL

how do I search for a home in a certain school district.?

Asked by Karen Grenner Case, Palm Bay, FL Wed Jun 30, 2010

Answers

6
The answers below address the first step in the approach--finding out what the school boundaries are. And that's fine, but only the first step.

Further, as noted, school district boundaries do change. So you might purchase a property in one school district, only to find that the boundaries have changed the following year. Tip: To reduce the odds of that happening, don't buy a property within a few blocks of a boundary.

Some MLS systems allow Realtors to "draw" an area within which to search for homes. Where I am, for instance, I can draw a circle on a map, or a rectangle. Or I can draw an irregular shape and search for homes within it. If your system allows that, that's probably the best way.

Sometimes, when a school has a particularly good reputation, that'll be mentioned in the "comments" section of the listing--such as "Clifton school district." It's possible to search for words in the comments section--in this case, you'd search for "Clifton." Also, MLS systems allow agents to specify the elementary, middle, and high schools serving that home. Some agents put that information in. Others don't. Those fields are searchable, too.

So, those are pretty much your options for searching for a home in a specific school district.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
Karen,

Make sure if you go to the schools website they have update information posted. Most school boundaries where changed for school year 2010-2011. As the area grows and new schools are build the boundaries will change. Have you selected a school district you would like to be in? If so look to see how long that area has gone to the same school. I live in Palm Bay and they just had lots of changes for the next school year. But the area I live in has never changed the Elementary School but the middle school did change this year after 15+ years. Nothing is guarantee that it will not change in the future

If you need more information please contact me.

Cynthia White
321-652-1974
cwhitesellhouse@yahoo.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 2, 2010
Hi Karen,
If you have a certain school in mind you can email it to me along with the criteria that you're looking for in a house (# of bedrooms, square foot, parking, pool, price) and I can set you up a listing cart that will send you all of the information and pictures of homes that are on the market right now which meet those specifications. You will also be notified by email anytime a new home that has your criteria comes on the market. It's a very convenient way to preview houses from your home and narrow down your list to the ones you actually want to drive around to walk through. Feel free to call 321-622-4814 with any questions and I'd be happy to help.
Web Reference: http://www.BrittonGroup.us
Dear Karen,

Unfortunately some agents to not lookup the assigned schools to input on the listing.

You can lookup the schools by the address:

http://edulog.brevard.k12.fl.us/edulog/webquery/

If you go to the individual school's website you should also be able to find a "boundary" map.

Hope this helps you.

All my best,
Alma
As school district boundries can change, then the absolute best thing to do is to go to the school district board office and get the most updated map available. This map should outline exactly what areas are included. Your real estate agent should also be able to gain access to this map. If you leave it up to your agent to get the map, make sure you have a copy to ascertain you are in the area you want!
The easiest and most accurate way would be through an agent--he/she can tell you about all the current available properties, let you know about new listings, schedule showings, run comps--recently sold similar properties in the immediate area, answer questions, etc.