Home Buying in Sharon Height>Question Details

Ursula, Home Buyer in Sharon Height, Menlo...

how do I go about looking at a property that is of interest?

Asked by Ursula, Sharon Height, Menlo Park, CA Mon Jan 3, 2011

Arn Cenedella’s answer

do you want to look at a property OR buy a property?

do you want someone to just open the door for you?

or do you want to find the best agent to represent you on the purchase?

after 32 years in the real estate business helping over 500 families buy and sell homes, i work for my clients.
i do not show homes to people who are not my clients.

serious buyers have an agent working hard for them.

most of my clients are past clients or referrals from past clients.

i give my current clients the best counsel and advice available based on my 32 years in the business.
in my opinion, the value to my clients of my experience and expertise is high.
anyone can open a door for you. but buying a house is far more than that.
i work hard for my clients and in return, they make a committment to me to have me represent them.

so my suggestion is to find a good experienced knowledgeable agent and work with that agent.
looking for someone to open the door is in my opinion not the right way to find an agent or buy a home.

Your question implies that you have at least some knowledge of the property in question, right? The issue then is getting access to the property. One way is to contact the listing agent for the property (the name should be in the listing), but keep in mind that the listing agent has a contractual "agency" relationship with the seller. If you become interested enough to put an offer on the property it might be a better idea to have an agent working for you as a buyer's agent. That way you can be sure to have a negotiating advocate on your side.

How do you find your own buyer's agent? Ask friends for referrals or, as suggested by others, visit other open houses to informally get to know agents. You might also contact agents that are familiar with this area. There are several of our offices that serve the Sharon Heights area.
Web Reference: http://sfpeninsulalife.com

The answers are go to an open house or ask for help from your Realtor.

The question then becomes: how do I find out about open house information? In Menlo Park, the Friday edition of the Palo Alto Weekly has paid advertising of open homes . MLSListings.com has open home information for whatever area you are interested in. The listing agents provide that information for your use.

The next question: How do you find a Realtor. Going to open houses is a good, no pressure way of meeing agents. You can ask questions and make your judgements by the answers you get. Another way is to ask your friends, neighbors and colleagues for information about the agents they know.

Good luck in your search!
Web Reference: http://www.MargeDraper.com
Hi Ursula,

Although you could visit open houses on your own on the weekends, without working with an agent, there are some distinct advantages to you if you do work with an agent.

First of all, you can get a jump on the competition by seeing a property of interest on a week day, without waiting for an open house on the weekend.

Second, your agent will be able to give you additional information about the listing that will help you in qualifying the opportunity for yourselves.

Third, your agent will be able to perform a variety of other services for you, which will save you time and probably money, too.

In sum, you would be well served by finding someone you feel comfortable with to serve as your buyer's agent.

Daniel Berman
Pacific Century Realty
Buyer Rebates to 50%
Listing Commissions as Low as 1%
Multilingual Services

Now that there is public access to listings you don't need an agent/broker, but you should get one and don't choose lightly. Many buyers don't give much consideration to their agent because the sellers pays their commission, but believe me you will pay one way or the other as a bad agent can cost you big time and a great one can save you tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars through negotiations, not to mention helping you avoid bad properties.

Ask friends and colleagues for recommendations, but don't take, "they're good," as the final word. Ask them why they thought they were good. Interview at least 3 agents/brokers and keep looking till you find the right one.

Lance King/Owner-Managing Broker
DRE# 01384425
Most homes in this area have open houses on the week-ends, so if you just want to browse around that is a good way to do it. If you are more committed to buying a house it is a good idea to find a realtor you trust to show you homes, get an approval from a lender so you know what you can afford, and what you are willing to spend, as these are sometimes 2 different numbers, and then work with your agent to look at homes that may be of interest.

Marcy Moyer
D.R.E. 01191194
Web Reference: http://www.marcymoyer.com
If it is a listed property then any local Realtor should be able to help you. You need only call any agent, give them the address and they can make arrangements to get you in to see it. You don't need to sign anything and you certainly won't spend anything other than the time it takes to meet your agent and go see the house. You only need one agent so find one you like and work with them to see that house or any others that are of interest to you.