Jamess R Far…, Other/Just Looking in 5324 n 12thh st Phil...

how do I discover who owns aa property thats in disrepair that I woulld like to purchase?

Asked by Jamess R Farrell, 5324 n 12thh st Philladelphia Pa. Sun Mar 2, 2008

I live in philadelphia pa the property in questiion is a sigle family home that I would like to rehab into a duplex but I can't discover who owns it all my various diffrent searchess have turn up zilch. sign frustrreatedd

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Christopher…, Agent, Spring City, PA
Tue Mar 25, 2008
Depending on the county, you can look up the publis records. Or you can call an agent and ask for them to do a public records search for you. I agree with Don, sometimes door knocking provides great info...
0 votes
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Mon Mar 24, 2008
Excellent answers below. That should give you the answer. However, if it doesn't, one thing you can do is knock on neighbors' doors and ask. I've done that a number of times. And if you find a neighbor who's been around for a while, you often can get a lot more information that will be helpful for you to make an offer.

For instance, sometimes I've found properties that are in the condition you describe because an elderly person had lived there, but had died or moved into a nursing home. Even though the tax records may show the person still living there, the property (and the power of attorney) is being managed/handled by one of the owner's children. In another case, it turned out the property owner was in a dispute with the city. He'd moved out of town, but the tax records still showed him residing at the property.

Try your door-knocking at times people are likely to be home--early evening on weekdays, mid-afternoon on weekends. (Avoid mid-day on weekdays, if you can. Women who are home alone are reluctant to answer a door knock from an unknown male.)

Hope that helps.
0 votes
Vp, Home Buyer, Philadelphia, PA
Mon Mar 24, 2008
go to http://www.hallwatch.org, if you put in the address it will bring up the owners name. If you register, they can give you additional information; such as an Absentee Landlord Address.
0 votes
Marila, Home Buyer, Brooklyn, NY
Thu Mar 13, 2008
Can I Answer this question?
0 votes
Craig & Mac…, Agent, Haverford, PA
Tue Mar 4, 2008
Most agents have access to Public Records, so by contacting one, they should be able to help you. Failing that it might merit a visit to the respective town office i.e. Building & Zoning. In the Philadelphia suberbs, each township maintains very good records. I do not do a lot of Center city business, but they operate the same way.
0 votes
Mike, , 19020
Mon Mar 3, 2008
in philly http://www.hallwatch.org Great info site!
0 votes
Peggy Gabour, Agent, Brewster, MA
Mon Mar 3, 2008
Yes, call /check online your tax collector/assessment dept. - all the records are there. Who pays the taxes, info about the property etc.
0 votes
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Sun Mar 2, 2008

Use the subject property address to access the tax records. This information should include the name and address of the owner of the property.

In most locations this can be done on line.

Good luck,
The "Eckler Team"
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more