Kreitzer4216, Home Buyer in Portland, OR

how close can I build to the property line?

Asked by Kreitzer4216, Portland, OR Sun Nov 3, 2013

Check with county and zoning departments...
As the others have mentioned, you should check the local codes. The City should be able to answer your questions, and you can contact land use and building consultants if you need to dig deeper. I would gladly pass along the name of a consultant if you'd like. Please contact me any time.
It depends on the zoning and it also depends on what you are building. For example in some areas you can build right up to the property line if what you are putting there us not considered a permanent structure. Like a tool shed that is on post and pier is not considered permant in most places. Also some setbacks vary depending on the height of the structure being built. It's wise to check with the jurisdiction you are building in and then check with them again right before construction begins with plans of what you are building in hand. I have had instances where I was told I could build in this area when i ask at the counter and then after the foundation was poured and framing complete the story changed. In that case the large deck that was slated to go on the back of this new home could not be built and I had to obtain a variance on the rear set back in order to at least have stairs out the back door. My policy since then is to check and recheck to avoid errors that are not my fault but cost me extra money that wasn't budgeted for
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 3, 2013
It depends on zoning. Go to http://www.portlandmaps.com and look up zoning. In some new areas you can build as close as 3 ft in new areas. Good luck. Tom inglesby, brokrt remax
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 3, 2013