how can you get rid of a squatter after regular tenant leaves?

Asked by hmanning212, Queens, NY Thu Apr 4, 2013

Answers

5
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Thu Apr 4, 2013
Consult with an attorney, he/she can better advise....
Martina Ryan, Agent, Flushing, NY
Thu Apr 4, 2013
You need to get them evicted. Serve them with notice & then take them to court. You need to go the legal route otherwise there may be problems. Find an attorney who specializes in evictions.
Anu Dutta, Agent, Forest Hills, NY
Thu Apr 4, 2013
You need to check with an attorney about your next step.
, ,
Thu Apr 4, 2013
Good morning hmanning212,

You should consult with an Attorney who specializes in "Landlord & Tenant" law for the correct guidance in this matter. We are not permitted to provide you with legal advice under NYS Law. Consult with your Local Bar Association or the NYS Bar Association for a referral to an Attorney who specializes in this area.

Trevor Curran
Jim Olive, Agent, Key West, FL
Thu Apr 4, 2013
I'm assuming the squatter lived there with the "regular tenant"? I don't think you need an attorney...if the person isn't on the lease agreement, tell him/her to hit the bricks. If that doesn't work...call the sheriff (I seem to recall there was a sheriff on Long Island, but don't recall if that's the correct entity within the boroughs) or appropriate law enforcement entity and have him/her removed. If it starts getting more complicated, then an attorney may be necessary...
Good morning Jim, I post frequently across different parts of the Trulia community and throughout the nation. One rule I follow is be careful of local law and custom when I provide advice outside my area. You should know that in New York State it is a felony for anyone other than an Attorney to provide legal advice.

Trevor Curran
Flag Thu Apr 4, 2013