how can i add my name to my moms deed?

Asked by wadedooley, New York, NY Wed Nov 6, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Audrey DeJes…, Agent, Ozone Park, NY
Wed Nov 6, 2013
Hello Wadedooley,

You may be able to do what's called a Quitclaim deed. I would advice you to contact an attorney who specializes in real estate and explain your reasons for needing to be added to the deed in-order for him to properly advise you.

To find an attorney call the bar association for recommendations or contact your local Brooklyn Legal Aid Society for free or low cost help.

Good Luck!
Audrey Dejesus
0 votes
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Wed Nov 6, 2013
You really should be consulting with an attorney, don't simply rely on online information...
0 votes
Mitchell Fel…, Agent, Brooklyn, NY
Wed Nov 6, 2013
Dear wadedooley:

In order to make sure it is legally binding and done properly, you should have a real estate attorney help you with that. If you like you can contact me direct and I can refer you to a good attorney.

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales/ e-Pro Realtor
Fillmore Real Estate
Office: (718) 252-2000/ Cell: (917) 805-0783
0 votes
Felix A. Gar…, Agent, staten island, NY
Wed Nov 6, 2013
Hi Wade

I suggest you consult a lawyer... but when you do so and before you and your mom do this you need to ask various questions regarding this i'm sure you have a reason or thought on why you and your mom want to do this so consult the professional's (i.e.lawyers and the CPA)

thanks Felix
0 votes
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Wed Nov 6, 2013
You cannot do this, Wade. We can't add our name to deeds, deeds are vehicles for transferring ownership, not statements of ownership!

Mom would have to deed the property to the two of you, as joint tenants or tenants in common.

However. Whenever property (or money) is in motion, you risk triggering tax events, and if you have siblings, you really complicate inheritance issues.

The simple way to do this, Wade, is to consult with an estate / trust attorney, and a CPA. It's not really that costly, and it can save you big time major league headaches.

All the best,
0 votes
Kathryn Lilly, Agent, New York, NY
Wed Nov 6, 2013
Your Mother can have a Dead written transferring the title to her and yourself. You should consult an Attorney before doing so, there maybe Tax implications as well as inheritance rights to consider.
Kathryn Lilly, Broker
Realty on the Greene, LLC
0 votes
Jimmy Payne, Agent, Alpharetta, GA
Wed Nov 6, 2013
You cannot, she has to. Most states have a Quit Claim Deed where she would add you to the deed. Contact a local real estate attorney and they can draw it up and file the right document for you.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more