how can I find out my homes measurements on line?

Asked by oldge92, Lowell, MA Tue Sep 25, 2012

Answers

9
Greer Swiston’s answer
Greer Swiston, Agent, Newton, MA
Tue Sep 25, 2012
Depends on your town ... but usually you can find an on-line field card from your city assessor's office. It will be pretty much just the envelope of your house ... not your interior layout.

If you need more help, please don't hesitate to contact me directly greerhomes@gmail.com
Heath Coker, Agent, Falmouth, MA
Fri Sep 28, 2012
If you can clarify what measurements you want to know about, you might get a clearer answer.
If your tax assessor office is online, you may be able to get a foot print from their info.
If you are looking for a plan of the lot, search the registry of deeds online.
If yu want room dimensions, you can do that in person.
If you want flood information, search the FEMA site and look at the flood maps.

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
the front of my home
Flag Thu Jan 29, 2015
Charlotte Ma…, Agent, Nashua, NH
Thu Jan 29, 2015
On line on the tax card should give you the layout of the home and dimensions. Good luck!
Where can I find the 'tax card'?
Flag Tue Dec 22, 2015
Maria N Fran…, Home Buyer, Chatham, NJ
Thu Jan 29, 2015
measurements for my property
Maria N Fran…, Home Buyer, Chatham, NJ
Thu Jan 29, 2015
how can i find out what is my property measurements
Joshua Gillis, Agent, Dracut, MA
Tue Sep 25, 2012
Hi I am not sure what measurements you are referring to. Are you looking lot measurements of your yard, measurements of your foundation or square footage of your home? Measurements of your foundation can be different than the gross living area or square footage of your home especially when it comes to a pitched roof. So here are some pointers. Hopefully this helps

1) Finding the square footage of a room.- If you are trying to figure out the measurements of a room you can take a tape measure and measure length then the width. Once you have those measurements you can times the two and there is a square footage of a room.

2) The same can be said for the foot print of the home meaning the foundation size. Just take a tape measure and length times the width.

3) The online GIS system in the assessor’s area is not that user friendly at times. Sometimes this process will cause you more of a headache than you’re looking for. I use the Lowell site a lot and it seems easier just to go to the City Hall.

4) Besides the Assessors office you could go to the following departments and depending on what you are looking for they may be able to help you. The Building Department depending on the town may have a plot plan and dimensions of the foundation. If the house was built in the last 20 years could have the set of plans from the builder which would give you all the dimension to include the lot. Town Engineers office may also be able to assist you.

5) Last if your computer savvy, you can go to http://www.lowelldeeds.com and under the deed you can get the description of the property which may give distances from markers.

I have found that Lowell City Hall can be very friendly when seeking info like this. I would try there first if you are looking to get the measurements of your foundation and square footage. If they can't help you they can sure direct you to the department/person that can.

All else fails, feel free to call me and I will try to help.
, ,
Tue Sep 25, 2012
A tape measure might be more accurate,

Jim Simms
NMLS # 6395
JSimms@cmcloans.com
Financing Kentucky One Home at a Time
Adam Chase, Agent, Beverly, MA
Tue Sep 25, 2012
The assessor's office has basic property information for tax assessment purposes.

You can find the assessors information for Lowell by going to http://www.lowellma.gov/depts/assessor

Part way down the page there is a link to "Assessor's Database".

Are you looking to sell your house? If so, a Real Estate Agent may be able to pull up a history in the MLS which may also include dimensions of the house's rooms.

If you are interested in learning more about our 12 step home marketing plan, feel free to contact me directly or visit our website.

Hope this helps
Adam
achase@adamchaserealty.com
Greer Swiston, Agent, Newton, MA
Tue Sep 25, 2012
So, for Lowell ... I found this link http://www.lowellma.gov/services/gis

You can find a parcel by address ... then click on the "Details" link and then in the "Basic" section, look for the "sketch" which will give you the basic dimensions of the building.