home without permit

Asked by Phluu1, Rosemead, CA Thu Jul 14, 2011

I will buy a home at city of Rosemead Ca 91770 ,the house with ADDITIONAL BONUS 2bed/1bath on the back and buyer to verified all aspects of this property, I know it is no permit. My question is how I keep the additional bonus or I need to tear it down, who will pay the cost to tear it down

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Joe Nernberg’s answer
Joe Nernberg, , Calabasas, CA
Fri Jul 15, 2011
These are great and sensible posts. I strongly recommend you visit the building department. In my experience, the municipal inspector wants to help you build safely. If you ignore the advice here, then the cost to remove or repair will be substantial. Hazard insurance claims will be denied for unpermitted work. Once you buy this home - you own the problems too.
0 votes
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Thu Jul 14, 2011
Plain and simply put? Go to the building department and apply for an "As built" permit. They will send out an inspector and tell you whether or not it will qualify. If not.......................NEXT!!
0 votes
, ,
Thu Jul 14, 2011
It will probably be a lot cheaper to get permits of completion than to tear it down.

If you are going to seek financing, lenders will not give value to the un-permitted renovation, with the exception of one lender that I know of.

Happy funding, Rudi
Web Reference:  http://www.umboc.com
0 votes
Ted Erickson, , Novato, CA
Thu Jul 14, 2011
Send me the address and Ill find out. Or call me.
0 votes
Bob McClure, Other Pro, Walled Lake, MI
Thu Jul 14, 2011
good afternoon.....if you are financing the home.....the appraiser will check with the local building dept to see if the structure was permitted....if it really was not permitted....it could bounce the financing, beacuse it will be acknowledged on his/her appraisal report, which the mortgage underwriter will read....they may not allow the square footage included in the addition to be used to comp the house's value, besides a possible structural issue or concern...it could also become an issue securing hazard insurance........
hope that helps..
best of luck to you with your new home
bob mcclure
0 votes
Melissa Krch…, , Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Thu Jul 14, 2011
That's a good question. If it's unpermitted, the city has the right to force you to tear it down at your own expense or give you notice before tearing it down themselves. There are some cities or situations where people can have things unpermitted for some time or forever before someone says something. If the city hasn't said anything to the Seller or Listing Agent as of yet about it, you're probably good for now. That doesn't mean that they can't come back and tell you to tear it down later. You're only other option is to buy a permitted duplex and not have to worry about it. Depends on how you feel about it.
0 votes
James Bui, Agent, Rosemead, CA
Thu Jul 14, 2011
Just ask your agent. He/she will guide you all the way!
If you are about to buy it yourself, here is the answer based on my knowledge:
1. If not yet offered: better put this condition/contingency in the offer if you want seller taking care of the permit issue : seller will pay for city report and clearance.
2. If escrow already opened: you can not do anything after the city report coming out.

Be advised: with un-permitted addition, it's up to city inspector to order either tear it down, obtain permit , or re-modify the addition to code to be permitted.
When escrow opened, either seller or buyer (depending on how offer written) should order the city inspection. When you have the report, just follow up with that requirement(s) in order to close your transaction.
If the report clear, it's great; however, if not, the cost to bring it to code/city requirement is depend on the offer. See item 1 above! If that written on the offer, seller pays, if not, either you pay or you still have a change to re-negotiate with seller.
If city order to tear it down, there is a pretty chance that you would ask seller to pay for the cost AND/OR lower the offer amount!

*** Some cities do not require to have city report such as: La Puente, South El Monte, Baldwin Park, Whittier, Pomona, ...You don't worry much about un-permitted additions in these cities.

Good luck!

James Bui - Realtor
C21 Dynasty
Web Reference:  http://www.BatDongSan888.com
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Buying in Rosemead Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more