doi get credit as a seller for a water and sewer bill if it is paid my me for 3 months ahead at time of closing

Asked by zzigmont, Sacramento, CA Mon Sep 30, 2013

Add some detail about your question

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Sue Archer R…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Mon Sep 30, 2013
Water bills are probably the least predictable of other bills. Some areas have it as part of a consolidated billing by the county and some are private water companies.

First, as others have said, I'd let the escrow officer know. Second, I'd contact the utility company and inform them of the date that ownership is being transferred.

Sewer normally transfers with ownership and does not require any notification, but the fact that you prepaid it could be just credited to the new buyer if you're not following up on it to either have the escrow, or the utility company give you credit for that payment.

Between those two parties (escrow and the utility company), you might get the correct story for your particular property.
1 vote
James Tan, Agent, elk grove, CA
Mon Sep 30, 2013
Typically in sacramento, the county of sacramento would prorate bills based on the date of transfer of ownership. So, you should be able to get credit from the county of sacramento utilities, based on the date of transfer.
0 votes
Bob Willett, , Sacramento, CA
Mon Sep 30, 2013
Typically yes. It should be address in your purchase contract.
0 votes
Ed Favinger, Agent, Folsom, CA
Mon Sep 30, 2013

Yes you do get a credit for the "unused" portion. Take copies of the paid bill to the escrow officer at the title company or send it to your agent who will forward it to escrow.

This occurs all the time...

I hope this helps...

Make it a great day...
0 votes
Eddie Martini, Agent, Auburn, WA
Mon Sep 30, 2013
You would have to talk with the utility company in how their company policy works. Typically anything that is "OVER PAID" at the close of a Real Estate transaction would be reimbursed to whom ever made the payment in the first place but again would depend on your contract both on the sale of the property as well as with the utility company.
0 votes
Michelle Tho…, Agent, El Dorado Hills, CA
Mon Sep 30, 2013
I recommend calling your escrow officer and advise that they have have been paid. She/he can keep them off the estimates so you have a clear picture of what will be paid at closing. You can also call your water and sewer company and ask if they will issue a credit. Good luck!
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more