Gary U,  in Indianapolis, IN

do you think trulia is doing a disservice to it's users by not showing the fsbo homes?

Asked by Gary U, Indianapolis, IN Thu Jul 5, 2012

10907 brigantine drive indianapolis 46256 is for sale $499,999 ..it assesses for 517,800

Answers

10
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Thu Jul 5, 2012
If you owned a restaurant, and a guy came in and wanted to use your kitchen to fix his own dinner; would you let him?

If you had a Car Repair shop, and a guy drive his car in and asked to use your tools and ask your advice to fix his own car; would that be a good thing for you?

If you invested 10 to 20 years of your life in learning a trade, and people wanted you to teach them for nothing; would that be fair?
if i work 20 years for my equity, should i let you have it? we have the internet now, and we don't need you!
Flag Thu Jul 5, 2012
Marita Topmi…, Agent, Indianapolis, IN
Mon Jul 9, 2012
Gary,

No, neither Trulia nor any service like it, whose popularity and profits are
dependent upon Realtors' cooperation, support ... and paid advertising,
is doing a disservice for not allowing FSBOs to freely take advantage of
the tools we professionals pay for to help make our living.

Special Kudos to Ron Thomas, Connie Clifton Mitchell and Joe "The Shoe"
for their comments below.

I will add ONE item with you that I share with all the FSBOs who come to me
and ask me to stop what I'm doing to give them free advice:

If you can't or won't pay for 2 agents - listing and selling - and feel comfortable
doing the showings, advertising, handling the paperwork, etc, at least advertise
on FSBO sites and your yard sign that you will pay a competitive commission rate
to any buyer's agent who brings you a ready, willing and able buyer and then
sign the agreement stating so before the agent brings their client to your home.

Working as a buyers' agent on a FSBO is fraught with extra work/liabilities for the
agent.
Alexandrea P…, Agent, Indianapolis, IN
Fri Jul 20, 2012
Gary,

Apparently FSBO can advertise on the sight for $50/month. With websites that already cater to FSBO, I do not think Trulia is doing a disservice to it's users. Granted I am biased as I'm a Realtor and often FSBO's aren't great for either party. You may think you save money by doing it, but it often costs more than you save! Studies have shown FSBO's take longer to sell. Plus, it's always best to hire a professional, especially with Scam artists out on the net. Many people seek help for services without question: doctors, dentists, CPA's, teachers, car-repair, why should we not entrust an agent to sell our home for the most money in the least amount of time?
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Mon Jul 9, 2012
Very interesting question.....
My position is that if a FSBO were to consider paying the standard buyer's fee to the agent finding a successful buyer, I would support this initiative. But if the FSBO is committed to a totally "solo" experience.......then let them go it alone.

As buyers & sellers become more internet savvy, Realtors become less and less relevant. Craigslist alone has more unique visits than all the local MLS list combined. And Craigslist even allows Realtors to post ads.. Maybe someday Craigslist will tell the Realtors to "Go It Alone".. lol
Flag Sun Jul 15, 2012
James Deskins, Agent, Worthington, OH
Thu Jul 5, 2012
Not really. FISBO sellers don't typically know how to market a home and they don't know how to work with Realtors. Obviously there are sites where you can find them, just not on here.
Connie Mitch…, Agent, South Padre Island, TX
Thu Jul 5, 2012
I am in agreement with the great comments made below. With the huge piles of money I am incautiously throwing at Trulia in hopes of gaining clientele in this somewhat sleepy market, I appreciate Trulia's services to the paying agents.

This shows the value in using a Realtor. Not only are Realtors paying to market owner's properties by tossing cash to a local board of Realtors, tossing more cash to the multiple listing services, more cash to company and personal web sites, and oodles of moolah to additional web sites and lead generating services. Precious "free" services and time spent researching property, specific details and information, and driving potential clients around viewing property. Lots of money from a Realtor's pocket to sell your property. :)
Claire-Anne…, Agent, Indianapolis, IN
Thu Jul 5, 2012
Hi Gary.

I can understand why one might feel that way but I do not feel it is a disservice - there are numerous sites out there designed specifically for FSBO folks.

I can offer a little guidance on the matter if you would like help navigating etc.

Claire-Anne Aikman
Carpenter Realtors
317.345.6640
you mean like... craigslist, google, facebook, oodle, ebay classifieds, blogs and boards everywhere.. those free sites? however.. trulia offers an opinion as to the value of my property, so they should offer equal time to me as well as realtors. they're making money on research and offering a financial opinion of my asset.. and they have it wrong!
Flag Thu Jul 5, 2012
Joe Shoemaker, Agent, Indianapolis, IN
Thu Jul 5, 2012
Gary:

You pose an interesting question.

Unfortunately, there really isn't an easy way for FSBO's (For Sale By Owner) to get their listing information to Trulia, and Trulia shouldn't be expected to scour every newspaper in the country and manually enter FSBO listing information into their system.

Most listing brokers subscribe to local listing services (in Central Indiana, that's MIBOR) and utilize third-party syndication tools to get their listings to appear on Trulia. I believe that there are similar services available to individuals who are confident in their abilities to handle large portions of their transaction themselves.

As a third option, there are limited-service brokers who will—for a nominal fee—get your home listed on MIBOR and perhaps even Trulia. If you're confident in your marketing and negotiation abilities, one of these companies might be your best bet. They'll do nothing to screen prospective Buyers for financing ability, won't hold open houses, probably won't answer the phone when you call, won't set showings, etc. But again, if you're confident in your ability to do those things, you might consider it.

Joe Shoemaker
Principal Broker, REALTOR®
MacDuff Realty Group, LLC
317 413.8501
joe@joeshoe.com
http://www.facebook.com/joeshoe
http://twitter.com/#!/jojosmojo
Web Reference:  http://www.macduffrealty.com
Douglas Alvey, , New Whiteland, IN
Thu Jul 5, 2012
Not really. Real Estate listings are complex and should be handled by a licensed professional. Keeping the listing information up to date, after listings are edited (price changes, property descriptions, photos, etc.) is difficult and most sellers are not aware of everything involved in marketing, and/or handling a real estate transaction.

With the increasing amount of fraud by individuals who take advantage of buyers and sellers, the value of a licensed REALTOR and their involvement in the transaction, is more important than ever.

Trulia should only post properties that are listed with a licensed professional.
i agree that there a people who can not read a purchase agreement.. i am not one of them. and i have an attorney that knows more about real estate law than any 10 realtors, and he works for a fraction of what a realtor wants. and as for marketing my property.. i'm on page one of google and my google analytics tell me i'm getting hundreds of hits per day, and who and from where.. with the advent of the internet.. most realtors days are numbered.. there are a few that are okay, but most are dinosaurs!
Flag Thu Jul 5, 2012
Michael Weav…, Agent, Carmel, IN
Thu Jul 5, 2012
Do you think that FSBOs should be listed in all the areas that Realtors post their listings?
trulia offers an opinion as to the value of my property, so they should offer equal time to me as well as realtors.
Flag Thu Jul 5, 2012