Things you need to know
1. What is the market value of the property -- your realtor can help you
2. Is the seller the true owner of the property --- a title/escrow officer can help you
3. What are the liens against the property --- again, title/escrow officer can help you
4. Besides price -- what are the terms and conditions of the sale? --- a realtor can offer guidance
5. Disclosures including local ordinance requirements, what the seller needs to disclose regarding the property's condition, etc. --- your realtor can give you a list of what you will need
6. Inspections -- what type of inspections are recommended? Whom should you call. Again, your realtor can help you with these.
7. Loan --- shop around. You realtor can also make recommendations on lenders who are responsive, resourceful, reliable.
8. Your financial situation -- the lender can determine how much you can afford to buy, what type of loan you qualify for, and give you an estimate of how much cash you will need for down payment and closing costs
Whatever you do....don't do it alone. Have professional guidance representing your interests as a buyer. If you've never bought a house before, all the more reason why you need professional assistance in this process.