Home Buying in Austin>Question Details

Bucko, Home Buyer in Austin, TX

cost to build house in austin tx per square foot, lot price not included. West of I-35 north, central and south. 2000 to 1600 sq. ft., one floor.

Asked by Bucko, Austin, TX Tue Aug 30, 2011

Answers

14
That totally depends on what you want to build. My husband and I are building a straw bale home here in Austin. Cost is between $50-75 a sq. Depending on how you build.
I can help with different green options and help you save money for years to come. There are green mortages as well that will lower your costs.
Call, email or text me anytime and I will be happy to share what I know to help you come up with the best plan for you.
Nadine.nixson@gmail.com
512/484-1578
Very interested in builiding a straw bale home in the surrounding Austin area. Would love any info that could help direct us. Thank you!
Flag Tue Oct 14, 2014
Price per square foot can be vary greatly builder to builder. We really avoid using it because so many builders will leave a lot out of their calculation. When we do calculate $/ft our price will include every possible expense other than land, so if you compare our price to other builders it would appear that we are more expensive but when the house is complete we wind up the same or less. Some things to watch out for are:
Slab cost variation due to topography and soil type?
Does the price include permits and tap fees or well and septic system?
Does it include architectural fees?
Does the price include foundation engineering fees?
How many bathrooms?
A new question on high end houses is how many kitchens? Prep kitchens are becoming very popular.
Landscaping?
on and on.
The best bet is do your homework, get references including from sub-contractors, interview the whole builder team select a builder and let them work to match your needs, wants and wishes to your budget. An honest builder will let you know if your home and your budget are out of line before you get too far down the road. A dishonest builder will throw out a cheap price per foot and then change order you to death.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 6, 2014
A good builder, not including land, is going to run around $125-135/sf. Numbers go up and down based on finish-out - think flooring, counters, appliances, fixtures, doors, windows, etc.

In North Central Austin, say south of 2222 and between the freeways, lots are available for $150k upwards to nearly $500k.

Web Reference: http://www.crowehomes.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 30, 2011
You probably have your questions answered now. If you have not I would suggest contacting a local realtor. The market is quite different now.

Susie Kay
Depending upon whether you are East or West the price per square foot will vary greatly not to mention the cost of materials ranging. Bella Vita and Zbranek would be a great place to begin in my opinion.
Why not ask the local builders about that, Realtors have no way of telling you what the average is,
I would most definitely consult with a Home Builder or a New Home Specialist. They would be able to answer all of your questions pertaining to how much it would cost. Some builders cost more than others. Some build their homes with more energy efficient products causing them to be more per square foot. It also depends on which area. I know you mentioned West of IH35 central and south. South is definitely less expensive compared to anything central or west. I work with several builders around town as a New Home Specialist.
Please let me know if you have any more questions. Good Luck!!!
I would ask a REALTOR after you've checked with a few Home Builders in the area, and then a REALTOR can show you what comparable resales go for in the area of your choice. And lot price will most definitely factor into that equation. Best of luck!
It appears that you have received good answers. Have you any thoughts about building a modular home using containers. The cost can be low or high. This concept in modular container design is a viable means of modern architecture in today' society of post consumerism. If you like more information, please contact me, my information is listed below.

Frank Ortega
Realtor®
Vox Real Estate LLC
mobile 512-426-6865
email fcortega@att.net
Unfortunately not that easy.....it depends on your finishout.....do you want solid doors, or hollow core. Do you want a fiberglass front door or a $5000 wood hand crafted. Do you want tile or vinyl, do you want wood floors or carpet? Do you want appliances included or will you by your own? Do you want builder grade appliances or high end like SUB-Zero and Thermador? Are you building a one off house or in an organized development with a production builder? See there are a lot of questions that go into this answer. Might be as low as $50/sqft or as high as $200 or more. Best to sit down with the builder and your realtor and decide what you want and let them give you a price.
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
not knowing a lot of the specifics of the lot, materials, ease of build, this is a difficult question to answer. However, $100/sq. ft might be a decent baseline to work with.

Please feel free to contact me if you would like any analysis on a neighborhood.

Steve Nusinow
(512)922-7588
We’re gonna need a little more information. Are you building a custom home or are you asking about a production builder? What types of finishes are going to be in the home…granite, tile, hardwood floors, etc. For example, a covered patio can add up to $5K to the price of a home.

Are there utilities on the property or will they have to be brought to the lot?

The best place to start is to get with your Realtor® and compare other homes this particular builder has completed. Find out if they offered incentives to the purchaser, closing costs, etc. Then your Realtor® can help you determine fair market value for the home you are wishing to build.

Hope this is helpful!
Gina Nyland, REALTOR®, GRI
Buyer’s Specialist
The Nyland Team
Prudential Texas Realty
There is no true general answer to this question. I suggest you contact a custom or semi-custom home builder in Austin. There are a lot of great builders who would be happy to help you.

Susan

Susan Geick, Realtor
John Horton Realty/Private Label Realty
(512) 922-4812
susangeick-realtor@att.net
It would depend on the materials you build with. I suggest trying to contact a custom home builder.