Home Buying in Epping>Question Details

Joan, Home Buyer in Epping, NH

convenant in deed

Asked by Joan, Epping, NH Thu Feb 21, 2008

If the original owner of a piece of property put a convenant in the deed of that property is he the only one that can remove the convenant from the deed or is it there permanently.

Answers

4
Removing restrictive covenants can be done, but it is difficult. Here is an article that will help.

http://www.realestatejournal.com/columnists/housetalk/200304…
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 21, 2008
This is definitely a job for an attorney and I urge you to get one. I sold a house on a street with covenanted deeds. The original developer had a covenant that no one could alter the outside of a house without HIS (the developers) permission after he'd gone over the plans! Well, the subdivision was put in 30 years ago, no one knew where they developer was. It caused a bit of a headache.
This is really a legal question. Many attorneys will do a free consult. Try giving one a call to discuss, or please call Attorney Andrew Gould @ 603-434-3437. I am certain he will give you an update on this if you ask.
Web Reference: http://www.ronhomes.com
The key to dealing with any covenant is to know exactly what it says. I am assuming the land and therefore the covenant deals with Rockingham County.

This is really a job for an attorney and I would look for one in the Rockingham County area who specializes in real estate. If you would like some referrals, email me. A fellow Realtor, Barry Miller, whose answer follows, has attached a thoughtful piece that should be helpful--but my advice is, don't try to do anything legal without a lawyer.