Home Buying in Sudbury>Question Details

Santosh Nalu…, Home Owner in 32081

can we convert wet land to Development Land?

Asked by Santosh Nalubandhu, 32081 Wed Jul 23, 2008

I had seen a lot of land in Sudbury and when I contacted Sudbury Assessors Office and Conservation Office, they informed that the land is a wet land and you cannot build a home,

Is there any way I can convert the wet land to build a home. The lot is in Intervale Rd, Subdury

Hi Santosh- Almost anything is "possible", but most likely it will be very cost-prohibitive to do so. If you "fill" any wetland area, you would have to replicate that on the site elswhere- per the town's requirements. That is often very expensive to do. In my experience, you're better off looking elsewhere. I know Sudbury is a bit expensive in general; might have to look further west.
In general, right now it costs more to build brand new on a lot than to just buy an existing home/ property. Unless you absolutely need a brand new home, you're better off financially to find an existing home where the seller is in a position to offer a low price.
Thanks, and Good luck,

Ken L.
Most wetlands in Massachusetts are protected under conservation laws. The Sudbury Conservation Commission would have a definitive answer for you (978-443-2209 x1371). I think Sudbury is pretty strict about their protected wetlands like my town, Norfolk, is. Trying to build on wetlands may be an uphill climb, if not impossible.