can they turn you down for a house if your 19?

Asked by Haven Sims, Chattanooga, TN Tue Nov 1, 2011

Answers

5
Ashley Burns, , Chattanooga, TN
Tue Nov 1, 2011
Age SHOULD NOT be a factor when it comes to whether an owner should rent/sell their property to you as long as you're a legal adult, HOWEVER, like 'Seth Captain' said, there are a bunch of other factors that they CAN deny you for. Unfortunately, many younger people do not have sufficient credit, references, or steady & reliable income... so it may feel as though you are being denied for your age.

Again, like 'Seth Captain' said, your best bet in order to score your desired property is to make a good, clean first impression and/or have someone co-sign.

If you need any help buying or renting in the Chattanooga area, id be happy to lead you in the right direction or simply answer any questions. Call or txt (423) 486.4350 or email me at aburns(AT)realtycenter(DOT)com

Ashley
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Thu Apr 18, 2013
NO, i bought my first home at 18, you can certainly purchase if you are 18 or older and have good credit, have a steady job and an adequate savings for down payment and closing costs. meet with a local and trusted loan officer who can guide you and prequalify you.
Kevin Sipe, , Chattanooga, TN
Thu Apr 18, 2013
Once you reach the age of 18 your are of legal age to enter into an enforceable contract. Discriminating based on age is a violation of Fair Lending and Equal Credit Opportunity laws.

The biggest challenge is having enough established credit lines. However, there are solutions specifically designed for such challenges.

If you have questions please contact me to discuss your options, obstacles.

Kevin Sipe
Home Loan Specialist
Churchill Mortgage
NMLS# 962172

423-899-6898 ext. 15 office
423-991-1234 cell
423-899-6547 fax

http://www.churchillmortgage.com/kevinsipe

Churchill Mortgage
1510 Gunbarrel Road
Suite 400
Chattanooga, TN 37421

NMLS ID: 962172
Company ID: 1591
Branch ID: 366125
TN-114429
Terry Bell, Agent, Santa Rosa, CA
Tue Nov 1, 2011
Well, the first thing that comes to mind is that you probably don't have much credit history yet, but if it's all good that's the important thing! I'm sure Justin Bieber has a house! Any my mother bought a house when she was 93! So the important thing is that you want to do it, and you learn what you need to make it happen. It may take a few years to get everything together, but why not make it a goal and start working on it. I'm sure lots of lenders will be showing up soon for you to contact! Good luck! Best, Terry Bell, Realtor, Santa Rosa, CA
Seth Captain, Agent, Chicago, IL
Tue Nov 1, 2011
Only if you act your age.

If you are over 18 and not trying to live in a senior complex, you can't be turned down for your age, BUT you can be turned down for no credit, or lack of credit, or lack of sufficient income, or several other reasons a landlord may invent. So, make sure you look presentable, have a job and proof of income and references with you, and you'll be alright. Worst case, if it's possible, an older family member may have to co-sign the lease with you.

But hurry up and get a place now cause when you're 20 it may get harder.