can someone tell me if...?

Asked by Gail, Atlanta, GA Mon Aug 13, 2007

Is there kinda of hip, bohemian type of 40-something, artsy pocket of Raleigh, with houses on the street, shops, etc?

Answers

15
Harry Tueting, Both Buyer And Seller, 27607
Wed Nov 7, 2007
I have always thought that Boylan Heights was pretty hip- on the way up, and depending on what developers and the city do with the Dix property, you could end up near to a very large and beautiful park...close to Glenwood South, downtown, the college, and still private and peaceful....
Ken Christian, , Raleigh, NC
Tue Aug 14, 2007
The Glenwood South area is a very hip, trendy, artsy place with shops, restaurants, and older restored houses. Also the Hillsborough St area is a great place to spend time. It is adjacent to the NCSU campus and has all the hip, artsy locations that you would expect around a college campus. The newly renovated Fayetteville St mall is also a place that warrants checking out.
Rosie Bolin, , Raleigh, NC
Fri Dec 7, 2007
The area around Cameron Village is fabulous. Cameron Village is the first "mall" built in the Southeast. I put "Mall" in quotes because it's not one of those large indoor monstrosities of today, but rather an outdoor pedestrian mall, built in the 1940s, with dozens of restaurants and hip, small shops. The surrounding area is made up of a mix of townhomes, condos and detached homes. It is also walking distance of Peace Street, which has additional shops, and leads to Glenwood South, the "hippest" part of Raleigh.

Durham is also has many neighborhoods that may meet your criteria. In many ways, Durham has "hipper" neighborhoods with an artsy flair. If you're planning to work in RTP, that may also be a worth considering.
Raleighcanes…, , North Boylan, Raleigh, NC
Mon Aug 13, 2007
Look toward the Glenwood Ave/Peace Street area, along with the Five Points area (a little NE from this section).
Mark Vuncan…, Agent, Asheboro, NC
Mon Aug 13, 2007
Steve, please. Check with your local Realtor in Raleigh. If you need help finding one, email me back and I can refer you to someone. Your best bet will probably be in or around the campuses of NCSU. There are several other schools in the area. Check around those.
Don Johnson, Agent, Cary, NC
Wed May 9, 2012
There are many different areas that would meet what you are looking for.
Glenwood South has many restaurants and their is housing nearby. Mordecai is more of a neighborhood area but is certainly close to some excellent shops. I hope you're able to find something!
Sharon Lewis, Agent, Cary, NC
Sun Jun 26, 2011
I love the Oakwood area and Mordecai, I think they are really up and coming. I also like Brentwood, inexpensive homes and so convenient to everything.
I know this is an older post, but there is so much going on in downtown Raleigh...its good to refresh this.
Glenwood South is fun too as is , in and around Cameron Village, Five Points area too.
Rick Wilfong, , Raleigh, NC
Sat Aug 30, 2008
I live in Cameron Park. Give our neighborhood a look. We are between Cameron Village, Glenwood South, and NCSU. Five Points might also give you what your after.
Donna Grady, Agent, Wilmington, NC
Sun Mar 23, 2008
Joe, Rosie, and Harry, You just bought back memories for me. Remember the Cameron Village of the 70's? Tin Penny Nails? It was sort of an underground restaurant, "hippie-style" shops and really laid back place. I remember going down there and watching silent movies while socializing. Glad to hear that the place is sort of re-establishing itself. I haven't been there since the seventies. I just gave you all a thumbs up.
Joe Dustin, Home Buyer, 08889
Sun Mar 23, 2008
hip, bohemian type of 40-something, artsy pocket of Raleigh? The only place that stands out is not in Raleigh. It's Carrboro. I would check that out if you care to move close to Chapel Hill.
Rebecca Savi…, , Raleigh, NC
Thu Dec 20, 2007
Gail - Each neigborhood in Raleigh has a unique personality. I have lived in 5 Points Hayes Barton and loved it. I walked to the movies, the bars, the pizzaria ect. I even road my bike to work conveniant to downtown. I would suggest getting lost in Raleigh and finding the right personality for you.
Penny Parker, Agent, Phoenix, AZ
Tue Sep 11, 2007
One of my favorite parts of the city is an up and coming area called Mordecai. Local shops and restaurants that you can walk to with older homes that each have a different style. Here is a link to their web site.

http://www.mordecai.org/news/index.html
Chris Roark, , Raleigh, NC
Fri Aug 17, 2007
I would suggested the newly remodel area of NorthHills. New condos and shops it is becoming a nice hotspot of activity.
Web Reference:  http://www.chrisroark.com
The Hagley G…, Agent, Pleasanton, CA
Mon Aug 13, 2007
The link below may be able to direct you to what you are looking for.
Web Reference:  http://www.lgbthomes.com
Pam Winterba…, Agent, Danville, VA
Mon Aug 13, 2007
Gail....I would suggest that you talk with your local Realtor to find out what areas are most hip.
Web Reference:  http://pamwinterbauer.com