can i sue the realtor that priced the home wrong and make them sell it to me for the price they listed?

Asked by Rita Dobbins, Arab, AL Thu Jan 27, 2011

century 21 listed a house for 14,490. it was actually 144,900. can i sue them and make them bite the additional cost on the home and buy it for the wrong price they listed

Answers

72
Joe Folsom’s answer
Joe Folsom, Agent, Ellijay, GA
Wed Jan 8, 2014
People make mistakes and Realtor's have error and omissions insurance. Having said that, why would you want to sue someone for making an honest mistake? It does not speak well to your character.
A law that would make this possible would protect consumers from realtors "mispricing" properties as a bait and switch tactic to get people to contact them.
Flag Sat Nov 5, 2016
When an agent makes this "Honest Mistake". Is the principle left to the damages? It's an "Honest Mistake", so the agent has no responsibility in it??. The agent should ignore, lie and deflect until the principle goes away?? I Suggest Rules are Rules, and laws are laws but for exactly this very senerio. Whose character is in question? An Agent is always going to suggest it's the principle who should be questioned when the agent makes an "Honest mistake"..
Flag Wed Jan 8, 2014
Darrell Hess, Agent, Asheville, NC
Thu Jan 27, 2011
I can't believe some of the agents on here actually think there is even a case here based on the wording of this question. He is asking if the Realtor, assuming the agent in question is a member of NAR, can be made to sell a home for the price that was entered into the MLS.

I can look at this two ways. Case one Rita is the owner of the property which is listed wrong and case two Rita is the potential buyer of a home listed wrong by another agent.

Lets look at option one. The agent has listed the home only and from this stand point he/she has not bought the home. Rita is still the owner of the property in question. How the hell is the agent going to have title to this house from just listing the property wrong and have legal right to sell the property to the original owner for the 14.5k. If the agent is not changing the price in the mls then this is a different story, but according to the "question" at hand here you are asking if you can sell it for the incorrect price listed and then try to sue for the difference as damages. Technically if you sell him the house at this price then you are to blame for not getting a higher price you wanted from the agent/buyer. You still own the house!

Now lets look into option two. Just because a house is listed for a wrong price does not make it automatically sold. If you look at disclaimers at the bottom of mls it says something along the lines of , "all information provided considered accurate, but not guaranteed. Also, you would have to sign the purchase and sale agreement according to the terms in a written offer. A contract has to be in writing, offered and accepted to be considered valid and enforceable in a court of law. Just cause it is written wrong in the MLS does not mean it is written wrong in the exclusive listing contract.
Are you a professional? Because you sound like a layman.
Flag Thu Oct 15, 2015
John, Home Buyer, Massachusetts
Fri Jan 28, 2011
I was just wondering-how idiotic of a question can someone post before people will stop answering as if the post is a rational question? (Most likely the offer would be refused in this case?) ( I expect you will be disappointed?) Holy crap let her go to a lawyer-it will keep her too occupied to post anymore dumb questions.
You must be new to the internet to ask a question like that, lol.
Flag Sat Nov 5, 2016
Stephanie Mc…, Agent, Canton, GA
Thu Jan 27, 2011
What are your damages? It was a typo - are you looking to pay fair market value for a home or are you looking to take someone to the cleaners over something that caused you no harm?
Shes Got A POINT! However, how can someone not be held accountable for the job they are supposed to be doing? Realtors know the margin in errors they could make. So why not? Careless real estate agents can make a mistake and they should realize the cost of falsely representing their clients and be held accountable for all the information they put out.
Flag Sat Feb 25, 2017
J R, , New York, NY
Thu Jan 27, 2011
I once put a listing on MLS with central air that didn't have central air. I printed out the listing and showed it to the homeowner, who corrected it and i changed it. It was a typo. Do you think I should have paid for central air if someone saw it? There is a reason why most MLS systems have a disclaimer that states that the information may contain errors.

On another note, do you know that if a house is listed for 150,000 and you offer the owner 160,000---the owner does not have to sell it to you? It is up to the homeowner to decide whether or not to accept your offer.
You showed it to the homeowner and she caught it. You double checked! Great Job. These FLUNKIES obviously failed to double check like you, Also...it is labeled common knowledge that property owners have final say in sales but if they sign a contract allowing someone to represent them and they falsely do so you could have a legal dispute that could actually cost you difference in error. Sucks to be the person who falsely represented a homeowners property and then both potential buyer and seller sued them. It can happen and should happen if both are screwed because of the error and you know it.
Flag Sat Feb 25, 2017
BJ Gober, Agent, Bastrop, TX
Thu Jan 27, 2011
Rita Dobbins please find a better way to spend your time. Wish you the best of luck with your law suit and buying a home now. I hope every REALTOR in Arab AL runs when you approach them now wanting to buy a house.
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Thu Jan 27, 2011
Look, Rita:

First, Century 21 can't sell you the house. They don't own it. John and Mary Smith own the house, and Century 21 is incapable of forcing John and Mary Smith to sell the house to you.

Second, if you sue for damages--as the others point out--what are your damages? Likely, nothing.

Third, you're assuming that the gap between $14,490 and $144,900 is the amount of your . . . not damages, but justifiable compensation. But who's to say the house really would sell for $144,900? Have you made an offer on the house? Likely not.

Fourth, just a personal quibble: There's a reason the "CAPS" key is on your keyboard. It's to capitalize words such as "Can," "I," Realtor, "Century," and so on. And I won't even get into the grammatical errors. Think clearly. Speak clearly. Communicate clearly.
She was not smart. You can not sue for damages because by law your only entitled the difference to make you "WHOLE" But she could have sued for false representation or misrepresentation and won the difference because the realtor falsely represented the seller and misguided any potential buyers through false advertising whether they used a site or word of mouth and not to mention if they work for a real estate firm the firm could actually sue the realtor as well for misrepresentation of the property and company they work for.
Flag Sat Feb 25, 2017
you have one job! Post correct information. How hard is that?
Flag Sat Feb 25, 2017
Alan May, Agent, Evanston, IL
Thu Jan 27, 2011
I'm sure it was a typographical error. I doubt you have a case.
Typographically your responsible for representing a homeowner. if you fail at that you should be held accountable for falsely representing your clients wishes.
Flag Sat Feb 25, 2017
Rita Dobbins, Home Buyer, Arab, AL
Fri Jan 28, 2011
thank you all for your responses...lol actually when i saw the ad i contacted the realtor and brought it to their attention. they blamed trulia for the error, saying they retyped the info, and got it wrong.

i don't get a kick out of sueing people. i am an honest person. i just wanted to know what the rest of the public would advise.......lmao

too bad it wasn't for that price, cause it was a beautiful home, and some unfortunate person would have loved to own it for that price these days with the economy situation.

it's like buying something in a store that was priced wrong, they do have to honor the price as advertised. how many times have you insisted that the wrong price be honored? hmmm...think about it

peace, rita
Yea right rita! Otherwise you wouldn't have asked. You would have acted.
Flag Sat Feb 25, 2017
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Thu Jan 27, 2011
Rita, what's your rationale here? Would you tell a judge that you were harmed because you couldn't buy the house? Can you demonstrate that you would have been the only potential buyer for the home?

What's your case, other than, you'd like to buy a home for 10% of market value?
Oggi Kashi, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Thu Jan 27, 2011
Rita,

The realtor is not selling the home, the homeowner is. You can't force a homeowner to sell their home to you if they don't want to. You can't ask for damages unless you have a fully executed contract. If you look at most publicly posted property listing information, you will likely find the phrase,

"All data subject to ERRORS, OMISSIONS, or REVISIONS and is NOT WARRANTED."

or something similar. There is always some kind of a disclaimer.
Truth is. if a realtor can't type in the proper information for a home and screws up they need to be held accountable because it is false representation when you say make an error in pricing or sales of a home online or by mouth and you all know that.
Flag Sat Feb 25, 2017
Jodi Sherret…, Agent, Houston, TX
Thu Jan 27, 2011
It was a typo. You don't deserve $100,000 for a typo. Why would you even want to sue? Do you really think you can get free money? Somehow you are entitled because someone made a mistake? I hope you never make a tiny mistake and have someone come at you this way. You really ought to re-think this.
Not only that but you make pretty good cut selling these homes otherwise you wouldn't be in this business. You guys need to realize what your doing and be responsible and if your not willing to be accountable for your mistakes. Find another job.
Flag Sat Feb 25, 2017
it was a typo made by someone who shouldn't be making TYPOS that cost the homeowner $100,000. Why are you guys not realizing what the problem is? as a realtor your job is to ACCURATELY sell a home for your client the homeowner and if you screw up...YOU should be held accountable! they are relying on you to put accurate information out there and your failing. You should be sued and the homeowners should sue you too.
Flag Sat Feb 25, 2017
Nancy, , Ocean Shores, WA
Fri Jan 28, 2011
Rita- By the way, have you thought of the flip side? You want an unfortunate person to be able to get a "steal/ deal". What about the owner? Do you want them to get the shaft? Besides, the buyer makes an offer and the owner can choose to accept, refuse, or counter-offer. Most likely, the offer would be refused in this case.
Dawn Isenhow…, Agent, Milford, OH
Fri Jan 28, 2011
Many realtors do not enter the MLS listing information themselves, so they are not solely responsible for typos. Errors happen, and they are corrected quickly when spotted. It is also up to the seller to check the listing info. for errors as well.

Real estate does not work the same way as retail. If there is an error in a store ad, the store manager will usually make a price adjustment to satisfy a customer. In real estate, the agent or brokerage does not own the property. The sellers must agree to the offer that is presented in order for the house to be sold. If you offer $14, 490 for a house that should be listed for $144, 900, the sellers do not legally have to accept your offer. They are not bound to anyone with whom they are not under contract, and they will probably be offended. In fact, even if you offer list price or over, but the terms are unfavorable, they do not have to accept your offer.

I am an honest, hard-working agent, and I have chosen my occupation to help people and to make a living at the same time. Most of us are not rich. We have families, and we work hard just like anyone else out there. I do not spend my time thinking of ways to cash in at the expense of others, and I am somewhat surprised that anyone else would have the time and energy to spend doing just that.
That was not the question, you should go into politics because you did a good job at answer another question that wasn't asked. Is it the law or is it, I would guess it would be state by state. You can argue the validity of the law on both sides. Looking for opportunity and coming across it are also two different things.
Flag Sat Nov 5, 2016
Michael Hamm…, Agent, Suwanee, GA
Fri Jan 28, 2011
Where do you get the idea that stores "have to honor the price as advertised" on something that is clearly priced wrong, Rita? I have never seen that law written or quoted. What if an unscrupulous consumer switched the prices before attempting to check out? Or a disgruntled employee purposely mis-priced items? Many stores may well honor an ad with a typo for PR, but am pretty sure they do not HAVE to.
Michelle Gon…, Agent, Los Alamitos, CA
Thu Jan 27, 2011
Nice try. Even if it was listed at 14,490 do you think you would be the only buyer interested in buying that home. Have you heard of bidding wars? When homes are priced well they often sell for more than list price and the buyers that were out bid have no reason to sue, because their offer was not accepted. Are you trying to buy a home, or just looking for reasons to sue agents?
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Thu Jan 27, 2011
actually, I got a kick out of this question - I needed a chuckle - it was a long day!

Why do so many want to sue people right away?

Rita - just curous - did you ever make a mistake or perhaps a typo?
Hope no one ever sues you.
Justin Ruzic…, Agent, Greenville, SC
Thu Jan 27, 2011
Just call the realtor and have the errors fixed.

http://2000shortsales.blogspot.com/2011/01/mortgage-modifica…
This guy, like the realtor didn't mess up at all.
Flag Sat Feb 25, 2017
Kim Noonan, Agent, New Lenox, IL
Thu Jan 27, 2011
A house in Arab AL isn't a carton of diapers at Walmart.
Hank Miller, Agent, Alpharetta, GA
Thu Jan 27, 2011
I would definately sue, sue everyone from the agent, broker, company, internet, the power company, State of AL and I'd even file against FNMA and the feds. Please let is all know how you like the house, you're going to be handsomely rewarded for being so astute.

This just in - Century 21 will be filing suit against you for not capitalizing the "C".

Hank
Web Reference:  http://www.hrmiller
John, Home Buyer, Massachusetts
Thu Jan 27, 2011
Actually that sound like a great idea. Hire a lawyer tomorrow and let us know how you make out.
Sindy Verdugo, Agent, Long Beach, CA
Thu Jan 27, 2011
Realtors have "errors and ommissions insurance" to protect them from typo's like thid. I am not sure how much you were damaged. I am sure it was fixed as soon as it was discovered.

That being said. If the agent did not make a typo and put in the wrong price to get calls like a "bait and switch" and you could prove it, you may be able to get them on false advertising. I don't think that was the case here.

There is no way you can sue and get the house for the 14,900. I can't imagine a judge ruleing in your favor.

Sindy
Web Reference:  http://www.SindyVerdugto.com
David Jaffe, Agent, Arlington Heights, IL
Thu Jan 27, 2011
Do you honestly think a property would be listed that far below the market value of other homes in the area? The Seller has just cause to be affected by the mistake. How long was it priced before you or your Agent was informed about the error in price? If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!

Remember, the Seller does not have to agree with the price you offered for the home (especially if it is nearly 100k lower than what was intended. It is un-fortunate the error was not caught sooner, sounds like the Listing Agent has some explaining to his Client.

Best of luck,

David Jaffe-Realtor
Coldwell Banker
Everyone knows this was clearly a case of error but why are you people not accountable for falsely advertising the price of Real Estate when small business', LLC's, Corporations, and Companies are? Your running a business selling homes for hundreds of thousands of dollars and making an error like this should weigh on your shoulders and you should be responsible. Shouldn't you be accountable for the information you put out? Especially since your representing someone and their property? Could you imagine if lawyers or criminals were let off for every typo? Business' that sell one dollar products are sued for more and yet your so entitled because you made an error trying sell a home clearly priced incorrectly by the realtor NOT SELLER. You see where I am headed?
Flag Sat Feb 25, 2017
Gary Kaupman, , Ellijay, GA
Thu Jan 27, 2011
Rita,

The simple answer is that you can sue anyone for anything. Whether you can find a lawyer who is willing to file a suit on something that is obviously a typing error, and if you did, whether you would prevail in a court of law is the larger question. And, as Tony says, "only a lawyer can really answer your question."

If you do not have a lawyer, I'm happy to refer you to three good ones up here in the mountains.

Purely out of curiosity, I have a question: Did you find the listing at the low price in Trula? Or someplace else?

The reason I'm asking is that checked the MLS and none of the $144,900 Century 21 listings that I can find were entered into the MLS at $14,490. That makes me think that the data was probably entered incorrectly in Trulia. If my research is accurate, then I'm thinking that you might want to make an attorney aware of that fact in discussing the viability of your case.

Gary Kaupman
Myrealtorlisa, Home Buyer, Blue Ridge, GA
Wed Jan 18, 2017
Poor Rita. I stumbled on this very old question looking for some other topic and started reading. This consumer had a simple question and asked it. I am a Real Estate agent in Virginia and I can understand the general public voicing their disgust, but agents, you should be ashamed of yourselves those who shamed her for her question. It is our job to educate and make the public feel comfortable with us. Plus, she more than once later on said LMAO I was just asking and I found her gracious after everyone blasted her. She simply had a question which was similar to " just like when I go to Safeway and they have the price wrong, but they have to honor it, so to does this apply in Real Estate?". Rita, the answer is no, but you should not have been blasted. Thank you for your question.
Micheal0424, Home Buyer, Blue Ridge, GA
Sat Nov 5, 2016
Geez, everybody acts like they know what they are talking about or is it the right thing to do. The question was simple, if the house is listed for a price that is incorrect can the buy force the sale of the house at the listed price.

I don't know the answer. I am sure it varies per state, I do knwo that this is the case on automobile sales depending on which state you are in.

The laws in the state that require the dealer to sell an auto at the listed price is no joke, if it is a huge mistake then the dealer eats the loss.

In the case of the house if this was the law I would image the listing agent/broker would be responsible for the difference.

So in short, it is not a stupid question. The law is the law, people make money from the law all of the time.

This law would protect shady realtors from practicing bait and switch tactics, but an honest mistake is just that and shouldn't be punished this harshly. Just depends on the state I would image and the brilliant law makers for that state.
New England…, Home Buyer, Riverside, RI
Wed Mar 4, 2015
My sister saw a house advertised $100,000.00 less than the home was suppose to sell for. She demanded the home at the price it was advertised for. They said "no". She took them to court and won. This was four years ago in Rhode Island. So don't try to tell people that this can't be done.
I agree with you. Like a wrote above, it probably depends on the state you are in.
Flag Sat Nov 5, 2016
Flag Sat Nov 5, 2016
Flag Sat Nov 5, 2016
Ultrawidescsi, Home Buyer, 98507
Thu Jul 17, 2014
I can say no you can't buy the home for the wrong price that was advertised. You should however be able to sue the agent, broker, and agency for either fraud or dereliction of duties. That is what is wrong with today's business owners and workers. They are directly affecting others lives and seem unable to measure twice and cut once. They need to take the time and effort to insure every move they make is correct, and if not pay for it. That's why I think realtors need to go away. Making good money and can't do the job and they suffer nothing when they don't do their job right, all the others involved do.
Nathan Joens, Home Buyer, 50327
Mon Jul 14, 2014
While I agree that this question is ill stated and not well thought out and that Rita does not have a case here, does this act of misrepresentation put damage unto the Realtor with this omission (i.e. give them a bad rep)?

Real estate listing mistakes are very common, much more common than some may think, and when they occur and have to be reported by a consumer the referral for that Realtor or agent becomes smudged.

Realtors and agents need to be careful out there in the world that we live in today. Insurance can only go so far for them. Their professionalism is always at risk and their core product (the listing information itself) needs to be handled such that it can make or break their career.

I have spoken with numerous real estate agents about this exact topic of poor quality listing information and have been met with passionate responses. Don't be the lazy Realtor out there not checking your product for bad information, it can give you a bad name, your brokerage and the entire industry - let alone cost yourself and brokerage thousands and thousands of dollars.
4closure, , Saint Louis, MO
Wed Jan 8, 2014
I'm not a R.E. Agent, nor am I an attorney. I can not speak with authority to legal Yes or No or how any court might decide any specific case... I do have some experience with Misunderstandings between R.E. Agent and Buyer/Seller (Principal) Relationships.. Understanding the aforementioned facts, My opinion is:, As I understand the relationship between Agent and Principal. The Agent has a legal obligation to the Principal known as fiduciary. The Agent can bind the principal without the Principal(s) consent once a contract exist between the parties. That is why you (Principal) are forced into an Exclusive Contract with your agent. If the Principal has given Power of Attorney to the Agent, (IE the contract) The principal has no recourse to stop a sale. The Principal only has recourse as a legal matter for damages if the Agent Mis-Represents his/her Principal. This goes for both buyer and seller as Principal. Again, I am not an authority in this area, I'm speaking solely from my own experience. That experience tells me that Being an Agent, Representing others interest under contract carries with it a legal obligation. I don't believe the law anywhere allows for negligence as an defense for damages to another. And I Think some states require honoring Advertised price as a remedy for Bait and Switch. In my opinion, The agent has legally represented the principal, The Agent was Negligent in representation, IE: Listing the property at 10% of the Principals requested amount, Consequently, the Agent is Responsible for the Error..
Multiple Listing Services of Greater Cincinnati / All Information is believed accurate, but is NOT guaranteed.
Flag Wed Jan 8, 2014
John, Home Buyer, Massachusetts
Sun May 6, 2012
Joe Folsom You might want to read my post from last january . Funny thing is I am not a realtor. I am still wondering how idiotic of a question can be posted here without about fifty realtors answering it?
Joe Folsom, Agent, Ellijay, GA
Sun May 6, 2012
My point exactly. It took 15 months and 65 responses for someone to step up say "Hey buddy, what you are trying to do here is wrong". I know we live in a litigious society and times are challenging so people are looking for ways to get more and/or cost less. Having said that, we get to choose how we respond to these times and our choices are revealing of who we are. The person that asked the original question chose unwisely.
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Sun May 6, 2012
Joe, I am sure this person is long gone, as he asked this back in Jan. 2011!
Joe Folsom, Agent, Ellijay, GA
Sun May 6, 2012
Does anyone here take this guy seriously? If this yahoo wants to force someone into selling him a home for less because the listing agent made an honest mistake, then he is morally bankrupt. I wouldn't give this guy the time of day.

Real Estate Agents have "Errors and Omissions" insurance to protect them in a situation like this anyway.

Get a life buddy.
Jtheat, , Florida
Fri Nov 25, 2011
I found a home that was listed for 10% of the appraised value on Zillow. Figuring that was a mistake... I check on the listing realtors web site... it was also listed there for 10% of the appraised value. Come on now folks, how many mistakes do you think you can make and still beg off in a court of law. You might want to check some previous cases where incorrect listing prices lawsuits were upheld. Typos on a 2nd hand listing is one thing, but on a realtors home page? That stupidy should not be rewarded. Now, do you really want to contest that in court? Yes, you do not own the property but your are the legal representatives for the property. Can you be held liable... you damned right you can. If you are sloppy and negligent, you can be held liable.
"You might want to check some previous cases where incorrect listing prices lawsuits were upheld."

That would be never. As a matter of fact, if you listed your home for a million dollars, and someone offered you a million, you wouldn't have to sell it.
Flag Mon May 7, 2012
Rachel Calli…, Agent, Blue Ridge, GA
Sun Feb 6, 2011
I had a listing that was 1 million dollars , somehow trulia posted the price at 1 dollar. No fault of mine, I had the price listed correctly on the listing agreement and on the listing sheet. I got all kinds of calls and finally got someone to send me the link and was able to contact trulia nd get it fixed. Bottom line is "if it sounds too good to be true it probably is!"
Teddy Sonner, Agent, Washington, DC
Sat Jan 29, 2011
No, I don't think so. Please check with a lawyer for proper legal advice. As a practical matter I wouldn't look to sue as a first resort to solve your problem. Homes, if properly marketed, should sell for their best price in the end.
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Sat Jan 29, 2011
Rita, (responding to your reply time stamped 5:17)
you bring up an excellant point which is, "Is a real estate professional, or anyone for that matter, responsible for information appearing in aggregate websites of which the originator has no control?"

Usually a real estate agent enters data into the local MLS. The MLS then sends this information to Realtor.com, then on to Trulia, Zillow and nearly countless websites, many of which a real estate agent has no knowledge of.

Then Realtor.com and Trulia strips the agent informaton from the data they received and compels the real estate agent to PAY to have the agent information restored! Some aggregate web sites actually CHANGE the description section.

Clearly, the data displayed by these aggregate websites IS altered for their financial benefit.
Who should be held responsible for data appearing on websites where the content has been modified without the originators consent or knowledge?

Rita, I woud advise that reliable information is only available through those closest to the subject. That would be your local real estate agent. Those who choose to rely on Trulia and Zillow have, wether they know it or not, elected to make decisions based on data for which no one will assume any responsiblity. Contact your local real estate agent to get information that you can rely on.
Web Reference:  http://www.mydunedin.com
BG, Home Buyer, Phoenix, AZ
Sat Jan 29, 2011
auction houses list properties at 9000 or 19000 all the time. Do you get to buy it at that price, only in your dream. Worst yet, you can bid it up to a price but still less than their hidden approved price, they still reject your offer a few weeks later.

You can curse at them if you want.
Hank Miller, Agent, Alpharetta, GA
Fri Jan 28, 2011
We're still some distance from getting full use of this asinine question so let's go....

Sue everyone, for everything, all of the time...It's the American Way.
Now you are talking. America is all about making money off of the law, look at the lawyers that get rich from it. Think about the idiots you elect that are lawmakers, and people wonder why things are so screwed up. Stop electing stupid people and do your homework on the people you vote for people.
Flag Sat Nov 5, 2016
Sandra Paulow, Agent, Pinetop, AZ
Fri Jan 28, 2011
All humans are subject to error. This is obviously just a data entry error. If you look at the listing it probably has something to the effect of the following: Information is deemed to be accurate but is not guaranteed.
Spirit Messi…, Agent, Tucson, AZ
Fri Jan 28, 2011
First thing any attorney will tell you in response to your question. "Anyone can sue anyone in this country". Now, if you win or not, that is another thing. I would start off with speaking to your Agents broker and go from there. After that, I would seek legal council, not the advice of other Realtors on a forum board.

Bingo. And most lawyers will take your money to represent you even if they are certain you will not win. Lawyers are sales people above all else. They are mostly not performance based, bad or good they get paid.
Flag Sat Nov 5, 2016
Sindy Verdugo, Agent, Long Beach, CA
Fri Jan 28, 2011
I like Debbie Rose's answer. Maybe it should be listed at $14,490 for real. The price would be bid up to value anyway. Many banks purposly put the price low expecting a bidding war. And, like others have said, you don't get a house automatically at listing price, all contracts need to in writing and that was just an ad.
Robert Pauls…, , Kahului, HI
Fri Jan 28, 2011
Rita,
It was probably a typo and human error and we are all human. You may have a new job opportunity perhaps the agent and C-21 could use a fact checker and micro manager.
Stephanie K, Agent, San Antonio, TX
Fri Jan 28, 2011
Thanks Rita,

It's nice to see this from the consumers perspective.

I frequently get calls on rental properties that somebody has picked up as a for sale or for some reason the fields didn't match up when it uploaded from one place to the next and a rental was picked up a sale. I was incredulous that people really believed someone was "giving" their house away, and did not realize this was an entry error of some type.

I read the entire thread and have picked up copyrite instead of copyright, lots of folks picked up on the "C-21" thing and I know that there were several more, but my point is we all make boo boos. Technology helps but it even creates some issues for us.

Our MLS has " Information is deemed reliable but not guaranteed", but Trulia feeds from lots of different sources, not just MLS. I looked for a disclaimer on Trulia, but could not find one. Maybe they should put a disclaimer on the "for sales"

They say you can sue for anything. Doesn't mean you will win. But if you do, let us know how it turns out!
Joseph Brown, Agent, East Meadow, NY
Fri Jan 28, 2011
Are you kidding?????...It was a typo. Get over it.
Diane Schuba…, , Nassau County, NY
Fri Jan 28, 2011
No. (Since the website insists on a mimimum number of characters-no, no, no)
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Fri Jan 28, 2011
Maybe we have hit on something here.

Maybe the house should be priced at $14,490, and buyers would possibly bid it up to way over 144,900! (Remember Rita, that price was the LIST price, not the selling price, and you would be competing with others to buy it - not like mismarked boxes of crackers that are piled in the store's inventory ).

Isn't this how many auctions on Ebay work? Some items are listed at a ridiculous $.99, and wind up selling for 10 or 20 times that!

Well, it was just a thought, although underpricing a home, can still result in a higher selling price!

The idea that Trulia made a "typo" is amusing, too - I can just see it now, some little employee locked in a room, inputting the thousands of listings as they come in.......pretty good if he or she only made this one "error" ha
Sterling Meh…, , Bethesda, MD
Fri Jan 28, 2011
You can sue anyone, what is important is how likely the effort and expense will pay off. The standard disclaimers in the original listing database and all the online outlets that pick up that information PROBABLY (not certainly) preclude any chance of achieving success. Start by looking at the disclaimers on the site where you found the information originally. I expect you will be disappointed.

You are on the right track by asking about the Broker, since that is where the mistake probably took place - data entry. The seller is probably indemnified several times over, so actually getting a house is out of the question.
Alan May, Agent, Evanston, IL
Fri Jan 28, 2011
It's doubtful (although I suppose remotely possible) that Trulia made the typo, since Trulia simply accepts feeds from different MLS's across the country.

They don't re-type the listings when they come in... they don't have the staff to re-input thousands upon thousands of listings. Emily, Rudy, et al, must be shaking in their boots at a thought like that.

Sounds like whomever you talked to was attempting to shift blame. As for forcing them to honor the advertised price. Real Estate agencies don't have the same policy as Target, and K-mart... it was a typo, and you can't force them to sell for the advertised price. It's a nice thought, but if that were the case, we could put RealtyTrac out of business for advertising all those $1 homes.
1 2