can i get a simple 2 room cabin or house or trailer anywhere in colorado?

Asked by Bruce Gidley, 68801 Sun Jul 29, 2007

Answers

4
Bridgette Ko…, , Florida
Mon Jul 30, 2007
Jon,
I noticed that no one has answered your question yet... First let me qualify my answer by saying: I have never even been to Colorado (but my best friend used to live there--I hear it's great!). But, I am a REALTOR, and many of the rural areas I service have many lovely manufactured homes. When considering the long term financial/investment aspects (and these aspects ONLY)of you question:

1. A "trailer" is of no value (no matter how nice)--you are purchasing the land. It is NOT classified as "real property".
2. A "manufactured home" (one attached to a permanent foundation) will depreciate in value, while the land appreciates. How rapidly the depreciation occurs will depend upon the exact property in question. It is usually classified as "real property". This can vary from town to town--it's very specific.
3. A "modular home" (it never had a trailer hitch) will appreciate in value, but not as much as a site-built structure; as well as the land (of course). It is classified as "real property".
4. A "site-built" home (even a simple two room cabin) will appreciate along with the land. And naturally, it is also classified as "real property".

The above #s 1-4 are GENERALALITIES. Each option has different pros and cons. You may wonder why I've made such a point to note as to how a property is classified: "real property"--or not--is important due to local regulations and zoning, tax and insurance implications, etc. This is just the starting point. You need to find a local REALTOR in the area where you'd like to purchase (Colorado is just too big) who understands these important issues (it's a pretty specialized field). Feel free to contact me, or simply re-post, if you need further general information or clarification.

Lastly, you may also consider purchasing vacant land to improve as you see fit, at your own pace. Best of luck and happy hunting!
Corey Dwan, Agent, Crested Butte, CO
Thu Jun 3, 2010
Hi Bruce,
Just one question really to find a little about your needs. Are you wanting this residence to be your primary residence or just a Colorado vacation home. We have many options for you here in the Gunnison Valley and Crested Butte area whether you are looking for a full time residence or vacation home. I would be happy to send listings to you. Feel free to contact me anytime.
Cheers,
Corey

Corey Dwan
Benson Sotheby's International Realty
970-596-3219 Cell
Corey.Dwan@SothebysRealty.com
http://www.CrestedButteForSale.com
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Tue Jul 31, 2007
Plenty of places. Have you thought about a particular city or area where you want to live. Are you looking to enjoy any certain activities? Skiing, hiking, cross country, snow shoeing. Do you need to fly out often or are you there to stay forever. Do you need any land with it. What is your price range for the purchase. Let me know and we can help point you in the right direction.
Web Reference:  http://www.teamlynn.com
Kurt Thomas, , 81501
Sun Sep 9, 2007
Bruce,
Asking for something simple tells me that you are just looking for a roof over your head with minimal features.
If you already own land and are just looking to purchase something to be placed on your land I suggest contacting a company that sells factory built homes. Palm Harbor, New Image Homes, Golden Villa Homes are a few that I have worked with. They sell Modular (IRC) homes and Manufactured (HUD) homes.
If you are looking for long term appreciation and this is your primary residence you may look into having it site built if you have the time to wait.

If you dont already own your land then there are many many places to look!