Home Buying in 92647>Question Details

Rosalestaxse…, Home Buyer in Huntington Beach, CA

can a parent grant deed a property to a minor property is paid off?

Asked by Rosalestaxservices, Huntington Beach, CA Thu Feb 6, 2014

Help the community by answering this question:


Hi there
Thanks for asking your question on trulia! Unfortunately a minor can not own real property. However you might be able to gift it to a trust and make your child the beneficiary or something to that extent. I recommend that you talk to a tax or estate attorney to discuss your options and find out what is best in your particular situation.

Feel free to call me if you have any more real estate questions.

Jaleesa Peluso
Laguna Beach Realtor
Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices
JaleesaPeluso. com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 7, 2014
A person under 18 years and not emancipated can not own real property. You should consult with an estate planning attorney to discuss all of your options.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 9, 2014
As stated before... your best bet is to utilize a living trust. Unless the minor is an emancipated minor. You should contact an attorney for details and any further questions or scenarios.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 25, 2014
Not under 18
You will have to contact an attorney to set something up that way and when his 18 then can have property in his/he name

Ingrid Ski Realtor
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 9, 2014
please contact David at Title 365 for any transfer of properties 714 917 9874.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 7, 2014
How old is the minor? Is it an emancipated minor? Otherwise, the owner can probably use a trust to secure title for the named minor. That's probably a great question for a Real Estate attorney and tax advisor.

Rochelle Chacon
Keller Williams Realty
949 533-1262
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 7, 2014
Only under one condition... In CA, an emancipated minor can hold title. They can buy, sell, or lease any interest in real property. Aside from this one exception, the only other option would be to utilize a trust, which has already been mentioned.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 7, 2014
Unfortunately, no. I would speak to a lawyer about setting up a living trust. They are fairly inexpensive and would ensure the minor gets the property when they are of age.

Amy Gillissen
Evergreen Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 7, 2014
A minor can not own a property.

Alex Greer
Loan Officer
NMLS #1056079

0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 7, 2014
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer