can a non resident of the us qualify for a loan to buy a house?

Asked by Delabra, Los Angeles, CA Sun Jul 8, 2012

i want to buy a house but i need a loan and i think i make enough monthly money income my problem is that im still not a legal resident of the us but im in the waiting list to become one.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Lance King’s answer
Lance King, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Mon Jul 9, 2012
Yes, but down payment requirements are much higher. Sometimes buyers can get loans in their own country for foreign investment property loans, and HSBC does them as well. They usually require 50% down.
0 votes
, ,
Wed Sep 28, 2016
Yes, non residents can qualify for home loans. Banks may not be willing to approve these types of loans but hard money lenders are able to.

More information:…
1 vote
Arpad Racz, Agent, San Jose, CA
Tue Jan 26, 2016
There are different types of loans available. I know a lender that could give you some more details. Please feel free to email me.

Kind regards,

0 votes
Brad Korb, Agent, Burbank, CA
Sat Dec 5, 2015
Yes,please reach out to my lender Brian McKim at Skyline mortgage & he can give you some assistance ,his phone # is 818-421-4737,good luck !
0 votes
Charanjeet A…, Home Buyer, Fremont, CA
Thu Nov 6, 2014
Hi Delabra:

Yes it is possible to get a home loan as a non resident. These loans have different guidelines and in most cases a higher down payment requirement with slightly higher interest rates. Here is a list of top mortgage bankers in California that should be able to help you out.

Let me know if you have further questions.

0 votes
Jon Grauman, Agent, Beverly Hills, CA
Thu Oct 30, 2014
Yes, absolutely! We have a couple clients right now who are in this very same scenario. One is closing escrow this week with a purchase price of just under $900k, and the other has full pre-loan approval with a purchase price of around $1.5M. You just need a reliable lender who knows what they are doing and knows their away around this type of loan.

Good luck! Hope this helps! We can refer you to this lender if you need someone.

Lauren Hice
0 votes
Hi Lauren
I'm interested in being referred to the lender you are referring to.
Thank you
Sonny Pedersen
Flag Wed Nov 19, 2014
Alvin King, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Sun Oct 26, 2014
Most definitely, but it must be done properly. A professional Loan specialist will be able to guide you through the process. Good Luck!
0 votes
Jacqui Rum, Agent, Westlake Village, CA
Sun Oct 26, 2014
Hi Delabra,

From what I have heard, if you have a permanent residency card (green card), it's not a problem.
Also if you are here on a work visa or student visa, I believe you can qualify as well.
If you have more questions, I can refer someone for you.
0 votes
Valli Lopez, Agent, San Diego, CA
Mon Oct 20, 2014
I am a lender that specializes in foreign buyers.

The simple answer is yes.

We use foreign income to qualify you, and I do not need any form of credit nor do I need any type of visa. Absolutely no residency is OK even with just 20% down.

It's called a portfolio loan, not hard money.

Call me and I can explain how to qualify you.

Valli Lopez
NMLS 980530
619.916.9595 cell
0 votes
berryloansco…, Home Owner, Los Angeles, CA
Fri Oct 17, 2014

Are you looking for a business loan,personal loan,home loan,auto
loan,student loan,debt consolidation loan,unsecured loan,venture
capital etc... Or Were you refused a loan by a bank or any financial
institution for one or more reasons.You are in the right place for
your loan solutions! I am a private lender,I grant out loans to
companies and individuals at a low and affordable interest rate of
3%.Interest. Contact us via email:


Your Full Name:
Loan Amount:
Loan Duration:
Phone Number:
Monthly Income:
Specific date you need the loan :

NOTE:This are needed before we can proceed with
the transaction of the loan okay.

Berry Benett
0 votes
Jacqui Rum, Agent, Westlake Village, CA
Wed Aug 13, 2014
My lender in my office has loans for foreign nationals. You just need some sort of visa, like the work visa or student visa or already have your Green Card and they can give you a loan.
If you want to talk with them, let me know
0 votes
Portalstrade, Home Buyer, Los Angeles, CA
Sat Sep 29, 2012
WHY RENT A HOUSE WHEN YOU CAN BUY ONE YOU are a worker that earn 2000usd a month and use up to 500usd to pay your house rent but here is the best way out with out spending your pocket out live a normal life no need to experience hardship because you want to make savings in other to own a house all you need do is apply for our motgage loan and build your house today and start paying with the same amount you use in paying for rentage. we give you all the time needed to pay back and believe me if only you we take the initiative you can own your own house in two weeks time just click on this link and folow the instruction it is very easy and above all there is no down paymentget the loan nownt click on this link…
0 votes
Sona Gallatin, Agent, Santa Clarita, CA
Mon Jul 9, 2012
Best and first thing you need to do is speak to a Mortgafe Broker or the home loan specialist at your bank. Once pre approved you will know your budget and can start looking for a home. Keep in mind that your debt will have an impact on how much you can afford .

Good luck:)
0 votes
Richard "RJ"…, Agent, Beverly Hills, CA
Sun Jul 8, 2012
Yes you can buy. Check with your bank to start with and if you need loan broker referrals that assist with this, just post another question here asking and you will get lots of referrals. Once you have that figured out, I would be happy to assist you in finding your next home. Please keep me in mind. Thank you and good luck.
0 votes
Muriel Levin, Agent, Beverly Hills, CA
Sun Jul 8, 2012
There are so many buyers nowadays that are investors from other countries. Some of them borrow in their own countries to purchase real estate, but some borrow here in California. As Brian told you, whereas a citizen- buyer will be required to put 20% down, lender will require a higher amount for someone who is not a citizen. You happen to buy a home here because you live here but some foreigners live abroad and might be less inclined to stick to their loan commitment. For this reason the lenders require a greater down payment to make sure the commitment is powerful enough.

Be in touch if you need a free pre approval from a lender at no obligation.
Muriel Levin
Coldwell Banker , Broker, Realtor
0 votes
SERGEY FEDNOV…, Agent, Beverly Hills, CA
Sun Jul 8, 2012
Yes it is possible to arrange!

Should you have any questions - please do not hesitate to call me Toll Free 1-855-TRUST-55 ext.777 ( 1-855-878-7855 ext.777).

Sergey Fednov
Trust Sale Realty
Toll Free: 1-855-TRUST-55ext. 777
Toll free: 1-855-878-7855 ext. 777
Phone: 424-777-9377
Fax: 310-356-4925
* We Hire California Licensed Realtors - 100%
0 votes
Brian Mitry, Agent, Sacramento, CA
Sun Jul 8, 2012
Yes, you can be non resident and qualify for a home loan. Be prepared to make a larger down payment anywhere from 30-50%. I have an amazing lender if you need to be put in touch with him.

I would love to help you with the home search if you are not working with an agent currently.
0 votes
Sue Wylie, Agent, Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
Sun Jul 8, 2012
You can buY as a foreign national. Need 50 % cash down.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more