can a foreigner buy a house in CA with a down payment and a Loan???

Asked by Enrica Moran, San Diego, CA Mon May 27, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


, ,
Mon May 27, 2013

Obtaining a loan for a Foreign National or a Non-Permanent Resident Alien (NPRA) is not much different than doing a loan for a US Citizen or for a Permanent Resident. We require credible documentation for 2 yrs. + year-to-date Income, credit report or alternative credit to demonstrate ‘A’ quality credit worthiness, and seasoned funds in a known financial institution (does not have to be seasoned in a US bank account). Translation of documents may be necessary if the originals are not in English.

Foreign Nationals:
(You have no Green Card and no VISA.)
No Credit required…but four credit references required – alternate credit from country of origin is okay…international credit reports are also acceptable. (We usually Google your Country of Origin to determine if they have credit reports & tax filing).
Max 50% Loan-to-value.
Minimum loan amount of $300,000.
We require 2-years income verification history but it is not necessary to have U.S. tax returns…Tax documents from country of origin are okay. If your country of origin does not require to file the equivalent of tax returns, then we need an employment letter on your company's letter head explaining compensation. If the employment letter is in a language other than English we need to get a statement from a tax preparer or equivalent that can provide evidence of your credentials by translating the documents…it must be on letterhead so that we can verify the company through 3rd party sources.
We must be able to source seasoned assets in a known verifiable worldwide financial institution (i.e., Credit Suisse, HSBC, UBS, Bank of Tokyo)…the funds may not be in an Institution which cannot be verified. The main reason for sourcing the income and assets is for OFAC (Office of Foreign Assets Control) which monitors foreign countries, regimes, known terrorists, etc.

Tax Preparer or Equivalent – Financial Analysis:
If the income and asset documentation is in a foreign language, we might have to hire an Accountant/CPA (tax preparer or equivalent) to analyze, interpret, convert and present the information in such a way so our Underwriter can easily understand. That is, have a comprehensive summary and accounting of thyour financial position. (Tip: All U.S. Embassies provide translation services).

You must have a Social Security Number or Tax Identification Number (TIN) which can be easily acquired through an Accountant/CPA or visit the IRS website that explains what and how to get a TIN. As long as you have applied for the TIN, we can proceed….
Passport and second form of ID required.
Power of Attorney (POA) is not allowed. You, if not present in the US, will have to go to an American Consulate to sign and have loan documents notarized.
Verification of existing Mortgage/Rent is required for previous 12 months.
Reserves of 12-months full debt service required (including all payments, cars, etc.).

Feel free to call/email me.

Thierry Abel
Senior Loan Consultant
All California Mortgage
P: (415) 464-8261
3 votes
Thanks for "VOTE", I am glad my comment is appreciated by someone.
Flag Mon May 27, 2013
, ,
Sat Nov 9, 2013
Yes you can and we can help. For mortgage help, call or email for a free pre-approval in less than 10 minutes. We lend our own money and are licensed in 49 states.

We can do: FHA, Conventional, USDA, VA, HARP, Interest Only, Home Equity, Fixed, and Variable. Find out which product is right for you by calling Brad at (855) 415-5626.

Brad Neumann
Sr. Loan Officer
Crosscountry Mortgage Inc.
Toll Free: (855) 415-5626 ext. 5734
NMLS# 948036
0 votes
ocmoneyguy, , Orange County, CA
Mon Oct 14, 2013
Absolutely! I am a private money lender and we do stated income loans for all situations.
We do loans for non-resident aliens. We do need some type of ID, but a CA ID will work or a government ID or passport will also do.
Steve Burington
0 votes
Coole Home, Agent, San Diego, CA
Wed Oct 2, 2013
Yes. As long as you have a green card and can document your income, there are several programs available. I think the lowest rate is 4.25% if you put a down payment of 3.5% of the purchase price. If you have a larger down payment you can avoid paying mortgage insurance.
0 votes
David Rudd /…, Agent, San Diego, CA
Mon Sep 30, 2013
Quick answer - maybe.

It really depends on the lender and the client. I get many requests from undocumented workers who can not verify their income that want to buy a home, requiring some financing from a bank. I have not found a lender that can accommodate this scenario.

If the person can document their income (many cases foreign income is acceptable) then there are lenders that will finance.

Best of luck,

David Rudd
kindred Real Estate
0 votes
David Haghig…, Agent, Carlsbad, CA
Mon Sep 16, 2013
Absolutely!....but it depends. Call me for details regarding buying as a foreign national.
0 votes
Ann_globenet…, , Westminster, CA
Thu Sep 12, 2013
Yes, it is possible for a foreigner to purchase a home in the US. However, there are many laws, guidelines and tax issues to be addressed. It is important that foreign buyers have an experienced agent to represent their interest and help them find the most favorable terms.

Please contact one of Globenet Realty's professionals at 714.988.8399 or visit our website at

Best Regard,
0 votes
Santiago Ken…, Agent, Chicago, IL
Wed May 29, 2013
I have investor from Europe they always buy in Cash .... Their loans always haven denied even with 50% down payment , and they are directors and ceos of big companies !
0 votes
Maria Claudia…, Agent, San Diego, CA
Mon May 27, 2013
Hello Enrica,
I've been involved in transaction with Italians and Brasilians buying homes in the US. Yes, you may buy homes using a loan based on your income from a foreign Country. Any of the agents who have responded have a really great reputation. PLEASE MAKE SURE you get a lender specialized in such transaction. If you need a referral or need additional suggestion on how to proceed please email me privately:

Good luck on your search

Claudia Cencelli
California DRE License # 01917494
0 votes
Hector Gaste…, Agent, Coronado, CA
Mon May 27, 2013
Hola Enrica,

Yes, we have different loan programs for Foreigners. I have heard that in some cases only 10% is required by leveraging assets here in the United States. I am a REALTOR that used to be a lender and can help you find not only the best home, but also the best loan for you.

Hector R. Gastelum
Realty Executives Dillon
(619) 954-2225
efax (619) 270-2516
0 votes
Lance King, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Mon May 27, 2013
yes, but typically these loans require much higher down payments. HSBC is the main lender used here in San Francisco but some local agents may have other resources there.
0 votes
Rashard Scott, Agent, San Diego, CA
Mon May 27, 2013
Yes, Please feel free to contact me to discuss programs available that allow foreigners to obtain a loan. Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you!

Rashard Scott
RBD Residential

Search homes for free at

CA DRE# 01703306
0 votes
Maureen Bye…, Agent, Oceanside, CA
Mon May 27, 2013
Hello! Congrats! I have represented international clientele for 4 decades!! I WILL BE HAPPY TO ASSIST YOU FROM RESEARCH TO HANDING YOU THE KEYS TO YOUR NEW HOME IN CA! I will start will emailing you a list of homes for sale in your price range and area today. Our local, direct lender has great financing for foreign national funding programs available. Please email
Web Reference:
0 votes
Michael Mast…, Agent, San Diego, CA
Mon May 27, 2013
Yes. And they do every do in San Diego. Typically 35-50% down payment is required and some lenders are more creative than others. Call me to discuss options and referalls for lenders who specialize in foreign national purchases.
0 votes
Sarah Scott, Agent, San Diego, CA
Mon May 27, 2013
Sure, I work with a lot of buyers from other countries. I can refer you to a few lenders that are familiar with the terms and restrictions you'll want to understand. Prepare upfront with the loan and you'll be a competitive and capable buyer quickly.

I'm available to speak by phone if you'd like to share what you are looking to buy - Sarah
0 votes
Royce Kemp, Agent, San Diego, CA
Mon May 27, 2013
Yes, a foreigner may purchase a house. If you have income and credit documented in the US, then you can obtain a conventional loan just as if you are a US citizen. If not, it just requires a substantial down payment of 40 to 50%.

Royce Kemp
Premiere Properties
Web Reference:
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more