can I buy an apartment instead of rent as a non US citizen? If so what papers are usually required?

Asked by manna.hafe, Chicago, IL Wed Aug 29, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Connie Bernal, Agent, Oak Lawn, IL
Thu Aug 30, 2012
If you are a resident, you can apply for a loan in the bank. If you are here with out any documentation and are paying taxes through an ITIN # you can also apply for a loan only one bank does that. We are hoping more banks will step up to do it. You must pay at least 2 years of incometax. Call me if you need any additional help.

Connie Berna
Coldwell Banker Residentiall
0 votes
Chicago Mort…, , Chicago, IL
Thu Aug 30, 2012
Hi Manna,
Yes you can. The requirements are that you have at least an offer letter and an acceptable work visa. The minimum down payment for this program is 20%. I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can help you. Thanks!


JP Marzano
Chicago Financial Services, Inc.
0 votes
Ivan Sagel, Agent, Chicago, IL
Thu Aug 30, 2012
Yes, you can own property here. Are you paying cash or getting a loan? I have some great lenders I can refer you to.

Best of luck,
Ivan Sagel
0 votes
Joe Schiller, Agent, Chicago, IL
Thu Aug 30, 2012
you can buy an apt and need to come into my office an meet with the bank ..I am at 1940 N clark.
0 votes
Matt Laricy, Agent, Chicago, IL
Thu Aug 30, 2012
Yes you can if you are going cash.

If you are getting a loan, its possible, but we need to know a lot of other factors. You should speak to a lender regarding that.

I would with a lot of international clients. Let me know if you need further details.
0 votes
Jorge Vega, Agent, Chicago, IL
Thu Aug 30, 2012
On cash offers you can purchase a home with no questions asked.If you are looking to finance your home there are lenders willing to help. Many of these lenders have certain rules behind what kind of Visa or work permit you can use to obtain this loan. If you need the name and number of some lenders who specialize in this please feel free to contact me. I have worked with many clients in similar situations and can assist you in the home buying process. I also specialize in the area you are interested in, its a great community and I'm sure you will enjoy it. Either way I hope you achieve the American dream of owning a home, good luck.
0 votes
Bill J Delig…, Agent, Naperville, IL
Wed Aug 29, 2012
CASH or LOAN? With Cash you can do practically anything you want. With Financing it gets a bit trickier, yet doable.
0 votes
Dirk Gould, Agent, Chicago, IL
Wed Aug 29, 2012
I will give you a qualified "yes" as an answer. It depends on the type of visa you have, the amount you are willing to put down, the documentation you provide from your employer, etc. I would be happy to help you if you need some guidance
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more