buying a HUD home. HUD is telling me water cannot be turned on for the home inspection and appraisal. Is this normal?

Asked by Mandy12, Queen Creek, AZ Tue Jun 5, 2012

Home inspection is being done this week and HUD will not allow the water to be turned on... I am not sure why this is and it makes me a little nervous because now this will not be tested by the inspector and I am wondering if HUD is hinding something

Answers

9
Rebecca Kall…, Agent, Gilbert, AZ
Wed Jul 11, 2012
Mandy, Your real estate agent should be able to help you with getting this all handled. They should be experienced enough to know that HUD does inspections and disclosed anything wrong with the property. If there is a known water leak they may not allow the water to be turned on, but they WILL disclose this information. Please be sure you are working with a knowledgeable agent the knows the in's and out's of HUD homes. Good luck. HUDhomestore.com will have useful information for you and your agent.
Doug McVinua, Agent, Gilbert, AZ
Tue Jun 5, 2012
It sounds like you reached out for permission and it was not granted. Did they tell you why? Does the house have an issue, faucet missing, water heater missing or something like that?

HUD has gotten very picky about water being turned on of recent for some reason and it takes some effort to overcome the issue.

Try to determine the reason!
Mike Harding, Agent, Reno, NV
Tue Jun 5, 2012
It is a catch 22, what I seen before happen is they found that the plumbing didn't hold air and failed their pressure test, when doing their FHA appraisal. You can use th FHA apprasial that was done but that is no good if you getting a convetional loan.
Mike Harding, Agent, Reno, NV
Tue Jun 5, 2012
Jose Dias, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Tue Jun 5, 2012
Hi Mandy,

I am sorry you are going through this issue.

HUD has an obligation to disclose any material fact about the property that they know about. And in my experience they will not willingly withhold information. So if there is a water problem and they know about it, they would have disclosed that in the Property Condition Report.

Your REALTOR should be able to get the report/information from HUD.

One option that you have is to call the city and check if they are aware of any water problems at the address. This is true also for the power company. In my experience, both the city and the power company will not turn on utilities if they are aware of a problem at the address.

And make sure you communicate with your REALTOR. Did he submit the proper paperwork to have the water turned on? HUD requires that buyers make a formal request for utilities to be turned on. And that usually takes a few days to get approved and sent back to your REALTOR.

I hope you get this resolved soon.

Jose Dias
623-418-5700
Jose@MyFirstHouseAZ.com
Scott Caldwe…, Agent, Gilbert, AZ
Tue Jun 5, 2012
Hi Mandy,

HUD will not pay to have the utilities turned on. (Elec, Water, & Gas) You can do inspections, but having the utilities turned on are your expense.
Now, if HUD is telling you, that you cannot have Water on ... this brings up another issue.
This will mean that HUD has found an issue with the plumbing where they will not allow the water to be on so no water damage is done to the property.
Each home has a Property Condition Report from HUD attached to the property which will tell you any issues found. Your agent should look this up for you on HUDs website. Hopefully you were made aware of any issues on this Property Condition Report ... HUD does it's best to let you know up front of any issues associated with the major components of a house. Of course, sometimes damage does happen after HUDs inspection, but they will work to hep resolve these issues as they surface.
Hope this helps out!
Get a hold of your agent ... they should be able to find this info out for you!
Take care and Good Luck!!

Scott Caldwell
Home Key Realty
http://www.MyAZHomeKey.com
Stephanie Sa…, Agent, Queen Creek, AZ
Tue Jun 5, 2012
Thats not normal - You have to get permission and have your agent fill out the form !
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Tue Jun 5, 2012
What HUD is telling you, is that HUD will not pay for turning on the water!

I gather that you need electricy too, yes?

I have been in a similar situ;

I went down to the city, and had them turn it on for a few days on my nickle:
You are taking a chance, but it is really necessary for the Buyer's sake.
It cost me $54, (i think), but that was cheap for holding the deal together.

Good luck and may God bless

ps. I wouldn't let HUD know that I was doing it. know what I mean?
Laura Feghali, Agent, Stamford, CT
Tue Jun 5, 2012
Hello Mandy,
I don't believe that it's a question of HUD attempting to hide something from the buyer but more that they don't want to pay for the utilities to be turned on and then back off. In my area, sometimes the buyer pays to have the utilities turned on and then off for the inspection as some lenders require them to be functioning at the time the property is inspected.

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty