buying 1M plus home - Should I look for an agent who specialize my price range ?

Asked by M, California Wed Feb 9, 2011

I have worked with some buyers agents before. They all provided me references before I hired them and did very well during interviews however once hired they were quite often unavailable to show homes or did not deliver what they said they will.
I recently contacted an agent who sounded good. My concern is she does not seem to list my price range homes - or her reviews I checked on internet were coming from people who purchased $300,000 price range homes... This is relocation purchase and I don't have anyone who can recommend Realtor over there....and finding a good agents on internet did not work for me,

Answers

14
Zack King, Agent, Calabasas, CA
Fri Feb 11, 2011
It is not necessary to find an agent who specializes in your price range in my opinion. I believe it is helpful to find an agent who knows the area and community in which you are looking. More importantly however, is finding someone you are comfortable with, trust and listens to you. Finding a home can be stressful and difficult the last thing you need is an agent that is not listening to you and wasting your time showing you homes you are not interested in. My office is in Calabasas and we could meet to discuss your options if you would like, if not I wish you the best of luck in your home search and hope you find your dream home.

Zack King
ZKing1@live.com
Pet Planet Realty
The Pet Friendly, Eco-Friendly Realtor
10% of profits go to animal charities
Web Reference:  http://petplanetrealty.com/
Richard Schu…, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Thu Feb 10, 2011
In addition to price range, find an agent who works different property types: short sale, foreclosure, probate, etc. Most agents who specialize in high end, don't experience enough distressed property sales to properly help you navigate the marketplace.

Richard Schulman
#1 Listing and Selling Agent
Keller Williams Westside Realty
310-482-0173
schulmanrd@yahoo.com
http://www.RichardSchulman.com
Kenton Kruger, Agent, Calabasas, CA
Wed Feb 9, 2011
You need an agent that understands you're area. Whether it's a $300,000 purchase price or the highest recorded residential sale in the country last year of $72,000,000, you want someone looking out for your best interest. I've closed enough transactions to know that even the agent with 20 + years under his belt doesn't know everything. Calabasas is a wonderful city with a lot of great neighborhoods to offer you in your price range. My office is located in the heart of it all and I'd be delighted to answer any other questions you may have.

Kenton Kruger
Pinnacle Estate Properties
818-326-5073 Mobile
Kentonpatrick@gmail.com
KentonKruger.com
Web Reference:  http://KentonKruger.com
Kevin Dibben, , Calabasas, CA
Tue Mar 1, 2011
Hello M. Find a Realtor that you trust and enjoy working with. I would not be concerned about whether or not they have experience in a certain price range, so long as they have experience. I have sold homes over $2 million but the way the market has been in the last two years most of my buyers have been first-timers, whom I love working with but, obviously, they are in the lower ranges.
Jason & Meli…, Agent, Calabasas, CA
Thu Feb 10, 2011
Hi M, good question. I always tell our clients that Realtor selection is like dating. You want to like the person you're working with because you'll be working very closely with them over the course of at least a month. Choose someone who is honest, ethical, experienced, knowledgeable and most importantly, has your best interests at heart. Someone who will be honest with you and manage your expectations while under-promising and over-delivering. Someone with an excellent team of players who can guide you properly and who listen to what you want. Those are far more important than price point as it's the same process whether it's a $5M house or a $200k condo.
My husband Jason and I are a team in Calabasas with Sotheby's and we would be happy to assist you if you feel that your current agent isn't quite a perfect fit. http://www.improta.com
Good luck! I'm sure you'll do just fine :) Missy Improta
Jonas, , Houston, TX
Thu Feb 10, 2011
In regards to Lance...

The question was regarding finding him a home over 1m. Not listing a home over 1m. The reason I am pointing this out is because my answer was regarding a "buyers rep." if someone is a "sellers rep", then YES your answer applies. Those "sellers" have different needs. Marketing, etc...
Janey Bishop, Agent, Encino, CA
Thu Feb 10, 2011
Someone professional and thorough that you communicate well with is most important.

My team would be happy to help you. This is our key area and you will be very happy with our service.
Lance King, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Thu Feb 10, 2011
M,

I agree that it isn't necessary to have a "high-end" realtor, but if your property is worth a mil and your potential agent has never dealt with a property over $300K, in my view that's a problem and it's more than just math. Buyers in this price range have different needs and expectations, and therefore require different marketing.

However, if she has represented buyers in this range or close, than she will understand and in my view the listing experience doesn't matter.

What I would do is look for homes listed in this price range, then contact the agent/broker for a few of them and interview till you find the right one. Ask for referrals, ask to see their marketing plan, and ask if they are going to be handling the open houses and showings, and if not who is. Ask how many properties they've sold in the last 6 months - you want someone active. You'll find someone.

Lance King/Owner-Managing Broker
lance@fixedrateproperties.com
415.722.5549
DRE# 01384425
Jonas, , Houston, TX
Thu Feb 10, 2011
Hi M!

As stated below, the price of the home is irrelevant. Just the numbers are bigger. I will say that it is sad that you are having such bad luck finding a reputable, reliable, Realtor to help you. I think if I were you, I would make a short list of what you need from a Realtor. and then interview and search on that list. Also, let them know what you expectations are and if they are not able to meet them let them know you will terminate the agreement to be represented by them.

I can recommend someone in Calabasas if need be. Just let me know.

Jonas Mancuso
Remax Int'l
http://www.talktohouston.com
Houston family forum
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Thu Feb 10, 2011
M,

In my opinion it isn't necessary to have an agent that "specializes" in high end homes but one that has some experience with it, is in touch with the local inventory at your price point, and is motivated to provide the best level of service to his/her customers.

Our advice is to look beyond the self proclaimed "specialists" and seek someone driven to be successful that offers all the tools to make your real estate experience a positive one.

Jerry Current, Agent, Pasadena, CA
Wed Feb 9, 2011
Maybe you'll be this agents first big break. If she is doing a good job for you so far, why not continue using her? The process is the same, just the numbers are bigger. She will probably work harder for you than another agent who is used to working with $2M clients and finds your little deal as a nuisance.
Sara Mehrpou…, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Wed Feb 9, 2011
Feel free to contact me. I work in the West San Fernando Valley which includes Calabasas. It's a nice area! Have you been to the Calabasas Commons? You will may also find upper class, gated communities in Calabasas.

Sara Mehrpouyan
Rodeo Realty
Direct: 818-903-2040
Dre Lic #01712757
Liliana Alfo…, Agent, Studio City, CA
Wed Feb 9, 2011
Dear Home Buyer,
As agents, we all have access to the same information. There are several services the agent can offer you to facilitate your search (such as Listingbook, etc.). Communication is essential so that your agent understand your needs. Look for someone reliable and honest who can deliver. The reason for working with an agent is that he/she will work in your best interest. You can always ask for references, and make sure you are working with a reputable company.
Feel free to contact me directly with any questions or concerns.

Liliana Alfonso
Dilbeck Real Estate
818-414-0396
liliana2sell@gmail.com
http://www.liliana4realestate.com
Rachel Marti…, Agent, palos verdes estates, CA
Wed Feb 9, 2011
Hi M,

I think it is crucial to work with a agent that not only is well educated on the inventory and market in your price range but one that also specializes in the area you are considering. If you would like the name of a local agent I would be happy to refer one to you.

Best wishes with your house hunting.

Rachel
Web Reference:  http://www.rtyndall.com