better area?east providence vs north providence vs downtown providence for single family home or condo.

Asked by Nsmith, North Providence, RI Tue Feb 22, 2011

I am new to providence and right now renting in north providence. I am planning to buy a single famly house or condo. This will be my first house. we are young couple with no kids so lookign for a cheerful neighbourhood.any suggestions. which are should we consider. thanks in advance

Answers

6
Robert Latham, Agent, Warwick, RI
Tue Feb 22, 2011
If you decide on a condo, please ask for the number of rented units. Ask for the last issued association newsletter and financial info. You will be buying into real estate that is in essence controlled by others, the owners, make many of the choices that effect the condo complex. Its very different than buying a single family home, you don't need to worry about your neighbors poor financial decisions. Obtaining a loan for a complex that has a high number of rentals and foreclosures could be very difficult.
Bud Latham
Broker
William Raveis, East Greenwich
Web Reference:  http://www.soldri.com
Tina Rose, Agent, North Smithfield, RI
Tue Feb 22, 2011
Hi, I would suggest doing a little driving and observation in the cities/towns you mentioned to determine what areas you like best. There are other factors that you may want to take into consideration as well such as tax rates and possible homestead exemptions for each town, school districts (even if you don't need it now-affects resale value), proximity to work/highway, etc. Finding a qualified Realtor with whom you feel comfortable working with and who is familiar with the areas you are searching would be to your advance and highly recommended. Wishing you all the best in this very exciting step. I'm happy to help if you have any questions (no commitments involved).

Tina Rose, Realtor
New England Properties of Barrington
824-6262
Joseph, JBL…, , Rhode Island
Tue Jul 2, 2013
It really depends on many other personal preferences and factors unique to you. Are you planning to grow your family with children in the near future? Condo living can be difficult with young children. Common grounds/yard within the typical condo complex are very limited and not as much an option when the kids want to go in and out to play. North Providence has a "Homestead Exemption" Tax break of 20% on your property taxes IF you are an owner occupant, you may want to compare that to similar valued properties in Providence or East Providence. There are ALOT of condominium developments in North Providence....I happen to sit on the Condo Board of one of them of which is greatly regarded as one of the most well kept, efficient, and "healthy" developments. You just want to be sure what kind of financial shape a condo development is in before YOU buy into it. Find out the percentage of units that are currently rented out versus owner occupants, a solid and stable development should have a very low percentage of rented units. Another thing to consider with a condo/townhouse versus a single family home is that it is usually pretty difficult to find the right condo for you AND have a garage for your vehicles! A singe family home will yield more of a normal privacy level for you than living in a condo complex where your unit will be right up against your neighbors. Common annoyances due to "closer quarters" in a condo complex are something to always consider too...(ie: noise, pets if allowed, visitor parkings, neighbors smoking, etc...). Alot to think about!!!
John Hollis, Agent, Boston, MA
Tue Feb 22, 2011
Hello, and welcome to Providence. There are MANY ways that I can answer this, but of course, this is about you, your wants and your needs. I live in Providence. I am on the North Providence border. Since you do not have children at the moment, then schools shouldn't be a something you would need info on....unless, you are planning on having them in the future. Buying a home is a long term investment so if there is ANY possibllity of having children, you might want to take that into consideration.

That being said. The property tax is higher in Providence. Both East providence and North providence are great. Do you prefer being close to the water? What are your hobbies. East Providence has a great bike path, while as you know, North Providence has everything a person could want entertainment and shopping wise.

Providence itself has the best night life and restaurants, and of course, if you are commuting to work, that might be the most favorable option.

Again, there is a lot to consider up front, however, with a clear vision of what is important to you, I am sure that buying your first home will be an enjoyable experience and a wise investment in your future.

I can always be reached at 401 474 3401. If I dont hear from you, I wish you success on your hunt for a new home.

John Hollis
Christopher…, Agent, Kent, WA
Tue Feb 22, 2011
Hi N. Smith,

All of the areas you speak of are good choices and would be better answered after getting to know more about your likes and dislikes. You should enlist the help of a Realtor to help you find exactly what you are looking for. Feel free to call me if you would like to talk about your goals in finding your next home… Christopher Cote @ 401.497.8233
Phillips Post Road Realty Inc.

Chris
David Miles, Agent, Cumberland, RI
Tue Feb 22, 2011
Well you personal preferences should dictate where you want to be. With that said my thoughts are that for a single family home you will be more comfortable in East Providence or North Providence. Where you are working may help you decide based on the commute.
With condos you have a more selection in North Providence and Providence. Unless you are considering the East Side of Providence (more expensive) you will find there are more cheerful areas in East Providence and North Providence.
If you would like daily access to the best properties to meet your search criteria you can request my E-Mail HomeFinder on my web site.
Best Wishes,
David Miles
RE/MAX
dave@davidpmiles.com
http://www.DaveMilesHomeInfo.com.