Pq, Home Buyer in 95051

asbestos ducting. How much does it cost to replace?

Asked by Pq, 95051 Sun Oct 9, 2011

There is another headache with buying an old house (>70Yrs old). The inspections show that there is asbestos heat ducting system which needs to be replaced and old Zinsco electric panel. Do I need to replace asbestos ducting and/or Zinsco panel? How much would it cost for replacement and do you have any recommendation regarding the contractor(s) for those work. Thanks
PQ

Answers

3
Michelle Car…, Agent, Coppertino, AL
Sat Dec 15, 2012
You can look up the issues with Zinsco electrical panels. IMHO I would recommend that first. As far as ducting, are you also considering adding A/C? You have to change ducting for that anyway, so keep that in mind.

Feel comfortable calling me with direct questions at 408-252-8900. I will give you my honest opinion.
Ruth and Per…, Agent, Los Gatos, CA
Tue Oct 11, 2011
Hi Pq

100 amp Panel costs about $1000 to $1500 to install

while a 200 amp panel from $1750 - $2500.

You should call people who install ducts to come out and give you an estimate, here is why
a room can have 1 or more vents. More the vents, more the amount of duct work.

Yes, there are quite a few good people out there.

Perry
408-656-5343

http://www.ruthandperry.com
Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Sun Oct 9, 2011
Pq,
A legal asbestos abatement must be done under controlled conditions by licensed professionals. The cost will depend on many factors that need to be seen to be estimated. In addition to removing the existing duct system you will need a new one.
I'm afraid you will need to have some companies out to look over the project and give you estimates. Some heating companies may have connections to asbestos abatement firms or you may need to get separate estimates.
Electricians will need to see your panel to give you an accurate bid too.
I spent many years in HVAC, so I know a little about what you are dealing with. Get some estimates from licensed pros.
I think that contacting professionals and having the proper testing is very important because you never want to treat asbestos lightly. I would contact several companies and find a few rates regarding new duct work. It is always wise to consider your own health and make necessary duct replacements.
http://www.affordablegroupinc.net/Duct_Cleaning_Sarasota_FL.html
Flag Mon Dec 1, 2014